Boot Camp assistant help

Reaction score
Hi, my boot camp assistant just disappeared, so I transferred a copy from my other mac, but this copy of boot camp ended up being 2.0. It won't let me use it because it says I have to update it with software update, but Sofware update won't do it.
Could anyone send to my email boot camp assistant 3.1 please, I'm sure it'll work.

I also tried repairing permissions with disk utility.

I need Boot Camp working by monday or else i might get fired T.T please

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Boot Camp 3.1 is only available from Apple as an update to Boot Camp 3.0. And Boot Camp 3.0 can not be downloaded as it comes on the Snow Leopard DVD.

If you somehow deleted Boot Camp from your machine, install it again from your original DVD. Assuming it's Leopard, you can selectively install the Boot Camp Assistant from the DVD.

Regards.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks chscag, it worked, but now when I try to do the partition, it tells me there are some file that cannot be moved so It can't continue. I've read some post in this forum about this topic, I tried defragmenting with idefrag, repairing permissions and disk with disk utility, reinstalling boot camp, but none of those work. Then my last option is to back up my entire computer (150 GB free of 320 GB) and reinstall the OS, But I don't know if I will need to buy another copy of the OS or mine just works fine (snow leopard, the one with one installation only), plus the external HDD only for one problem? I mean, there must be a simpler solution, something in the boot camp configuration, or some folder right?
Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Thanks chscag, it worked, but now when I try to do the partition, it tells me there are some file that cannot be moved so It can't continue.
I remember getting something like that. What I did was boot off of the Mac OS disc and then use Disk Utility to repair the hard drive. After that I had no problems installing Windows using Boot Camp.

To boot off of your Mac OS disc you just insert the DVD and then after restarting hold down the C key. This is the same steps to reinstall your OS but to do what I said above you only want to go to the menu and use Disk Utilities to repair your hard drive.

OP
P
Reaction score
I remember getting something like that. What I did was boot off of the Mac OS disc and then use Disk Utility to repair the hard drive. After that I had no problems installing Windows using Boot Camp.

To boot off of your Mac OS disc you just insert the DVD and then after restarting hold down the C key. This is the same steps to reinstall your OS but to do what I said above you only want to go to the menu and use Disk Utilities to repair your hard drive.

I've done that twice already with and without DVD =/ it's a no go...
Do you think if I try with the DVD that came with my imac ( OS leopard) will make any difference compared to the snow leopard DVD... or maybe I'll just have a whole mess in my computer :S

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
If you can isolate the Bootcamp install from the 10.5 discs and install that it should be ok. Mind you in saying that it might not be able to install W7 for you cause it'd be an older bootacmp. I don't think it'd wreck your system. Mind you deleting all the system prefs for your now deleted version of bootcamp before you re-install the old one might be a good idea.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.