Windows-like picture import tool for OSX?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 17" MBP, Mini x2
Greetings,

I picked up a 27" iMac a few months back after being a Windows guy for ages, and I'm really liking the switch. One of the things I can't get past however is how over-intuitive OSX tries to be when importing pictures from my digital camera.

In Windows, I could plug it in and it would simply import all the pics into a folder and give me the option to erase them when finished. That's all I need, and I have ~10 years of digital pics organized that way. My Mac, however, creates albums, opens preview, and gives me all sorts of iPhoto options, and I really don't want to use it.

Is there a utility out there that will simply import pictures from a connected camera without going all out the way iPhoto does? Any insight would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac, 3.06GHz duo, 4GB RAM, 500GB Hard Drive, NVIDIA 9400M| 8GB iPod Touch
I use image capture most of the time for importing photos. Search for it in spotlight and it should be there.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Still a lot of folks like Picasa.

OP
Seventh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I use image capture most of the time for importing photos. Search for it in spotlight and it should be there.

Thank you! How would I go about setting it as the default application to run when a camera is connected?

Much appreciated! :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
With your camera plugged in, open up Image Capture. Select your camera from the left hand side and in the bottom of the window, you should see a drop down labeled "Connecting this camera opens:". Change that to your program of choice and voila.

If you do not see that option in the bottom left hand corner, click the little box with the arrow in the bottom left hand corner.

OP
Seventh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Perfect. Thank you very much!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.