Can i get wireless for my iMac G4

Reaction score
Hi,

i have an iMac G4 i was wondering how i go about setting up wireless my mac is an 17" 80GB Superdrive when i go into system profiler i select Hardware and then to Airport Card and it says no information found,

i was looking on the apple website at airport cards but it states the mac needs to be airport compatible??

i was thinking if this is possible what would i need to get this to work and how do i go about installing/inserting??

Thanks

Rich

M

menace3054

RICH,

if you have a 1GHZ or faster imac g4, it is compatabile with the airport extreme card. if it is below 1ghz, (700 or 800 mhz) it is compatable with the regular airport card. The difference between the two is that the airport extreme card supports wireless g (54mbps) while the normal card supports wireless b (10mbps). Once you determine which card is suitable, you need to install it. also, you will need a wireless router.

heres the instructions on how to install the airport card

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=26237

OP
P
Reaction score
i own the 800 mhz G4, what's the situation if i want to connect say a games console to go online what sort of connector would one need???

OP
P
Reaction score
many thanks for your help!!! much appreciated!!

menace3054 said:
RICH,

if you have a 1GHZ or faster imac g4, it is compatabile with the airport extreme card. if it is below 1ghz, (700 or 800 mhz) it is compatable with the regular airport card. The difference between the two is that the airport extreme card supports wireless g (54mbps) while the normal card supports wireless b (10mbps). Once you determine which card is suitable, you need to install it. also, you will need a wireless router.

heres the instructions on how to install the airport card

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=26237

OP
P
Reaction score
i am unable to find an airport card apart from the extreme on the apple website is there any other link that would direct me to obtain one, also would the perfomance differ greatly

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
poobah said:
i own the 800 mhz G4, what's the situation if i want to connect say a games console to go online what sort of connector would one need???

if that was the case then id recommend a standard router/switch depending on how you connect to the web

oh and i found this which may help a little
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86258

M

menace3054

i dont think apple directly sells them anymore. you can search google to find a 3rd party retailer, heres one example

http://www.lacomputercompany.com/cgi-bin/rpcart/index.cgi?command=dispitem&type=sku&sku=10061

while obviously the wireless g would be the best, wireless B isn't bad. 10mbps data transfer would be suitable. If you are able to direclty connect, that would definately be your best best. But it you need wireless, the wireless B should be good enough

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
poobah said:
i am unable to find an airport card apart from the extreme on the apple website is there any other link that would direct me to obtain one, also would the perfomance differ greatly

I had to get one on eBay for my wife's iBook because it's the 802.11b generation, try the For Sale/Want forum, or even Craigslist.org is a good place to look if they cover your geographical location.

When you mentioned game console, are you looking to hook up XBox Live? Go with a router setup, sharing the connection of the Mac is possible but it's a pain to boot up the computer just to play an online game. I have mine plugged into my Airport Express in my entertainment center, so I can stream audio to my surround sound via 5.1 Dolby, and share out the internet from the CAT5 port while extending my base station range with WDS. ;)

Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.