MBP unibody case

Reaction score
So i bought my first MBP unibody a few weeks ago and put on the incase cover, ive noticed that while the top cover is on it adds extra weight making the hinge a bit looser. I was wondering if over time will this cause damage to the hinge due to the extra weight?

Thanks in advance this has been a great site for a first time mac user.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Without having that setup myself, i would say over time it will.
More weight + usage usually leads to more wear and tear. And that goes for anything ...
Sorry to say :(

Reaction score
Honestly I'd say the "damage" will be minimal- as in it's not going to shorten the effective life of the hinge.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree with miles. I've had my InCase cover on now for almost two years and there is no noticeable wear and tear on hinges or anything else. I've only had to remove the InCase cover two times: Once for adding memory, and again for installing a larger hard drive. It's great protection for your MBP.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I wonder what his definition of "looser" hinge is ?

Has yours got a looser hinge chscag ???

OP
J
Reaction score
by looser hinge i mean, when the top cover is on and i move my MBP real quick the screen flaps back, and when i close my lid about 4 inches from being fully closed the lid starts to fall on its own due to the added weight. When the top cover is off, neither of the two incidents happen. If that makes any sense.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep it does. It is what i thought you meant.
BC on my MB there is no looseness and mine is stiff to the point of having to use force (mind you only a little bit) until the magnets take over.

Personally i would watch it though as you dont want to get to the point of it not staying open ....
Just doesnt sound right in my mind ????

OP
J
Reaction score
normally something like this wouldn't bug me but after replacing two laptops (a dell and a MSI) because of the hinge breaking its something that i get pretty concerned about, especially because i love this thing.

i was thinking about ghost armor, but i don't want to deal with ventilation issues, but i get to paranoid when i don't have some type of casing on it..... pros and cons i guess.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.