• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

need some help with imac (flat panel)

Reaction score
hi, ihave a imac g4 17", 1.0ghz, 1.25g ram, leopard 10.5.8. the problem i have is every external drive i plug into it has a very slow transfer rate, probly around 1mbps! im quite new to mac, so i have no idea how to fix this, can anyone help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4Ghz, 2Gb, 160HDD & 10.6.2 / Aluminum Keybaord & Mighty Mouse / WD MyBook 1TB
I believe the g4's have usb 2.0 so your speeds should be much faster. But before we go into usb is the external hard drive using firewire or usb? Either the speeds should be way faster.

If either do 3 things.

1. use different usb/fw ports on the g4 (if they have extra, I never used a g4)
2. use different wiring.
3. ... try the external on another machine to see if it's your system that's the problem.

Sorry I couldn't help more. I will stay updated on this thread because I would like to know what could help solve an issue like this as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.