Delete programs / apps

APL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB mem 320GB HD
I have scanned the facts above but can nit find the answer. If I just drag a application or program into the trash will it delete it and fully uninstall it?

I am looking to clean delete program / application for misc things I do not use anymore.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4Ghz, 2Gb, 160HDD & 10.6.2 / Aluminum Keybaord & Mighty Mouse / WD MyBook 1TB
Yes doing that will delete it from your hard drive. I highly recomend AppCleaner or AppZapper. You drag and drop the application you wish to delete into that app and it will scan your system for all related files to fully 100% uninstall and erase all existing files regarding that unwanted app.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Agreed. Dragging the app to the trash will delete and uninstall it. Using AppCleaner or AppZapper will get rid of the little preference files left behind by the app.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
1. If an uninstaller comes with the program, run that as the first preference.

2. Download any of the removal, utilities and use that as second option. AppTrap is freeware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
2. Download any of the removal, utilities and use that as second option. AppTrap is freeware.

+1 for AppTrapp. It sits in the preferences in System Preferences and is un obtrusive and works well.
If there are associated file/folders to trash with it, when you drag the App to the trash it will ask you 1st if you want to get rid of any :)

C

chas_m

While AppTrapp (et al) are nice, they are not -- it should be pointed out -- necessary.

Unlike Windows' registry, most Mac applications do not leave interdependent files all over the place, so if you leave a .plist preference file behind from some app you trashed, not only does it not take up any appreciable space, but its completely inert. This also goes for anything in Application Support.

So it really doesn't matter if you want to trash the plist file or not, except from a "neatness" point of view.

There are a few exceptions, like Microsoft Office and programs that require a startup item, but most of them come with their own uninstallers. The bottom line here is that you can use AppTrapp (et al) if you want to, but it's not mandatory in any way. Just dragging the app to the trash and emptying the trash is generally sufficient.

Reaction score
what does (et al) mean. Sorry I am just really confused by that. But I needed this tip also as I want to remove some stuff, I guess being a solid windows guy, it just seems wrong or like I didnt do something right just by dropping it into the trash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
'et al' is a flash way of saying 'and others', in this case all cleaning utilities such as AppTrap, AppCleaner, AppZapper etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
VZW iPhone 4 64gb Ipad 13" White Macbook * WD 500GB HD 80GB Ipod Classic
hey does clean my mac do the same thing...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok...so no need to get the extra stuff

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok...so no need to get the extra stuff

What do you mean 'extra stuff' ??
WOW sorry mate i had i mind blank when answering you. Yes by the look of it it does do Uninstalling, how good i cant say but "extra stuff" ??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i tried app zapper with the 5 zap demo and wondered if clean my mac would do the same job since I bought that already

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea it looks like you are on a winner there.
As i posted above i have AppTrapp sitting there and dont even know its there for when i trash something and use MainMenu for the cleanup. Out of all i tried i found MM easy and did a better job than all the rest. But looks like you have a all-inone with Clean My Mac

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.