• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

MacBook Pro Core i5 / i7 Delay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.66GHz / 4GB / 320GB / Matte 15"
What is your opinion of Apple's delay... In bringing the Core i5 / i7 MacBook Pro to market?
My first thought, when seeing all other laptop manufacturers release theirs, was that Apple did not want to take any of the focus off the iPad announcement. Then when MacWorld came and went, I was further surprised, as that was a great opportunity.
Now here we are rapidly approaching the end of Feb 2010, and still nothing other than the single rumor about an i5 model in the wild being tested.
I'd like to hear from other members of our community.
1)What is your take on this?
2) When do you predict we will see them released?
Cheers...
posted via BlackBerry

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What is your opinion of Apple's delay... In bringing the Core i5 / i7 MacBook Pro to market?

There really is no delay. Apple is not in competition with any other laptop manufacturer...because there is no competition. If there were competition...then things might be different.

Apple will release laptops with i5 and/or i7 CPU's when they are ready.

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There really is no delay. Apple is not in competition with any other laptop manufacturer...because there is no competition. If there were competition...then things might be different.
That sounds very narrow and closed minded. If Apple has no competition then why did Steve Jobs spend millions on the TV commercials? Why does the mainstream press compare Apple to other manufacturers in the tech sector?
Why did Steve Jobs spend year after year at MacWorld trumpeting the "superiority"?
Businesses that truly have no competition have no need for such activities.
Apple has no competition ... Heh!
Cheers...
Posted via iPhone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I got to ask what do the new chips offer besides an inferior built in video chip and a few
seconds of time shaved off and if the application does not make use of the extra threads
then speed might be debatable. I guess people all to often get caught up in spec wars the bottle neck in performance right now would be hard drives and SSD are way overpriced.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That sounds very narrow and closed minded. If Apple has no competition then why did Steve Jobs spend millions on the TV commercials? Why does the mainstream press compare Apple to other manufacturers in the tech sector?
Why did Steve Jobs spend year after year at MacWorld trumpeting the "superiority"?
Businesses that truly have no competition have no need for such activities.
Apple has no competition ... Heh!

For folks that prefer Apple computers & prefer the Macintosh OS (the vast majority of Apple users)...there is no competition. Who else is making Apple computers other than Apple?

If there were other companies making Apple computers...then Apple would have more reason to bring the latest technologies to market.

Windows computer companies like Dell, Acer, Lenovo, Sony, Toshiba, etc. are in competition with each other...so they have more pressure to bring the i5 & i7 CPU's to market in their products. Apple does not have this pressure...so they bring technologies to market basically when they want or are ready to.

These companies rush products into production (due to competitive pressures) and then the products sometimes stink (power consumption, heat generation, weight, size, etc.). It's quite possible that Apple wants to release a "glitch-free" i5 laptop...and sometimes this takes time.

Or maybe Apples current line of Macintosh laptops are selling very very well. It makes no sense to release a new laptop if the current models are selling well. This is just good business.

This is not "narrow or close-minded thinking"...take it from a person who has been a Mac User since 1986...this is nothing new! Apple does what it wants when it wants to!

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All hail the Apple Way... No thinking required. Just do as your told...heh!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All hail the Apple Way... No thinking required. Just do as your told...heh!

Instead of being sarcastic...pretend Apple computer was your company...tell us :

- Why you think Apple needs to or should release a laptop with an i5 or i7 processor?

- How many Apple laptop users out there do you think really need a laptop with a quad-core processor?

- A quad-core laptop would undoubtedly be an expensive "top of the line" computer...how many people do you think could afford or could justify purchasing one?

- How long or how expensive do you think it costs to develop & launch a new laptop computer...especially if most of your user base does not need it & if most of your current line of laptops is selling well?

Basically (as the theoretical owner of Apple computer)...why would releasing a laptop computer with an i5 or i7 CPU make good business sense?

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
One way to look at it is by sales they are probably in no hurry for one there hottest
selling laptop was the entry level MBP 13 which if the vast majority wanted power the
fully loaded 17 should have outsold the 13 but the majority obviously wanted longer
battery life and cooler running machines and so far from most of the online reviews
the new chips don't seem to offer that only speed on certain applications the industry
has not even made use of full 64bit which Core2Duo has been able since introduction.
Don't get me wrong better technology is always the way to go and newer faster chips
will get us there but programs and apps need to step up to the plate .

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My original post was simply a question. There was no bias, criticism, or reason for anyone to feel compelled to defend Apple. Or to lecture on and on about how great, and all knowing Apple is, and how they have no competitors. Furthermore the original post did not question anything other than the obvious. Apple is a forward thinking company that has always embraced technological advances. It's a known fact that they will adopt the Core i series processors. The purpose of the question was not to debate the characteristics of the processor, or to challenge Apple's timing, but simply to ask others for their opinion of Apples upcoming refresh, and when they thought it might happen. A refresh they have performed as regularly and somewhat predictably as any other computer maker.
Cheers...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
I must say this post makes me chuckle. If you don't like their products buy something else. There are plenty of i3/i5/i7 options if that is such a deal breaker. I wonder what percentage of users could actually harness all that processor power anyway? I consider myself a power user and I am just fine with my C2D.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My original post was simply a question. There was no bias, criticism, or reason for anyone to feel compelled to defend Apple. Or to lecture on and on about how great, and all knowing Apple is, and how they have no competitors. Furthermore the original post did not question anything other than the obvious. Apple is a forward thinking company that has always embraced technological advances. It's a known fact that they will adopt the Core i series processors. The purpose of the question was not to debate the characteristics of the processor, or to challenge Apple's timing, but simply to ask others for their opinion of Apples upcoming refresh, and when they thought it might happen. A refresh they have performed as regularly and somewhat predictably as any other computer maker.
Cheers...

Your initial questions seem MUCH broader than that...and the answers to the questions can be MUCH more complex than you may think.

Basically it may not make good business sense at this time for Apple to release laptops with quad-core cpu's.

Many many users simply use their computers to do e-mail, surf the internet, play music...and post on Mac-Forums!;) Don't need quad-core processors for that.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Instead of being sarcastic...pretend Apple computer was your company...tell us :

- Why you think Apple needs to or should release a laptop with an i5 or i7 processor?

Because people that aren't Apple users and are thinking of switching can easily get a better performing Windows laptop with better specs and a lower price.

- How many Apple laptop users out there do you think really need a laptop with a quad-core processor?

Most every single one I personally know. But then again, I'm a photographer and most of those people I know are into heavy photo, video, or audio editing. Even editing 21mp camera RAW files on my MBP can be tedious when compared to my desktop I built with an i7, 6GB of RAM, and the top of the line GPU. It takes ages to import and batch edit with Adobe's products on OSX compared to my monster desktop.

I know, the comparisons not fair, but if I want to use Adobe's products on Apple computers and Final Cut Pro, then they're going to have to produce something with better performance.

- A quad-core laptop would undoubtedly be an expensive "top of the line" computer...how many people do you think could afford or could justify purchasing one?

All the people that justified paying $2000-$3000 for their top of the line C2D MBPs that they bought when they first came out. People that use them for business work. There's still the C2D 13" MBP and the MB.

- How long or how expensive do you think it costs to develop & launch a new laptop computer...especially if most of your user base does not need it & if most of your current line of laptops is selling well?

Dunno, but Wintel manufactures have been putting them out since last year, so it can't be out of Apple's reach. You're making it sound like they should just wait until 4-5 generation of quad core processors are out so they can use cheaper and less sophisticated technology vs. what the Wintel people are "rushing" to market.

And by the way, there's a problem with the current crops of MBPs and heat. You can't say Apple released the perfect notebook.

Basically (as the theoretical owner of Apple computer)...why would releasing a laptop computer with an i5 or i7 CPU make good business sense?

- Nick

They would be increasing sales from Windows switchers that don't otherwise see the since in paying a lot more for older technology when they can get newer technology for a lower cost, as well as getting the repeat business of people who use there products and either upgrade when a line is revised or when a big revision hits a certain line they're interested in.

I know I would sell mine and buy an i7 in a heartbeat once they were available to the public.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
It's a known fact that they will adopt the Core i series processors.
It would be hilarious if Apple's next MBP lineup used chips made by AMD.

You never really know what Apple is going to do... The next lineup could still include the C2D, just cosmetic changes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Many many users simply use their computers to do e-mail, surf the internet, play music...and post on Mac-Forums!;) Don't need quad-core processors for that.:)

- Nick

Most of those users probably don't own high end MBPs.

You can still get a C2D imac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
It would be hilarious if Apple's next MBP lineup used chips made by AMD.

You never really know what Apple is going to do... The next lineup could still include the C2D, just cosmetic changes.

Which would definitely be a bad business move. In the technology sector, you advance or die. Even Apple knows this.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Most every single one I personally know. But then again, I'm a photographer and most of those people I know are into heavy photo, video, or audio editing. Even editing 21mp camera RAW files on my MBP can be tedious when compared to my desktop I built with an i7, 6GB of RAM, and the top of the line GPU. It takes ages to import and batch edit with Adobe's products on OSX compared to my monster desktop.

I think that you are probably one of those folks that does need a lot of computing power...and you know quite a few other users in the same category...so a quad-core laptop may make a lot sense.

If you hang out in these sort of "power-user" groups...of course a quad-core laptop makes sense...but consider that many many users use their laptops for much more mundane tasks...and a quad-core laptop would be overkill.

And Apple may not sell enough of these quad-core laptops to make good business sense. I think when application or OS demands for the mainstream user become much more commonplace...then we will see quad-core laptops from Apple.

In your case...you have a number of quad-core options...the 27" iMac, and of course the Mac Pro's.:)

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I must say this post makes me chuckle. If you don't like their products buy something else. There are plenty of i3/i5/i7 options if that is such a deal breaker. I wonder what percentage of users could actually harness all that processor power anyway? I consider myself a power user and I am just fine with my C2D.

What's laughable is that you seem to think that not one of us posting likes their Mac. Or that the present absence of a Core i processor is a deal breaker. This reflects a lot of negative thinking. Try reading the posts before assuming....heh!

C

chas_m

My original post was simply a question.

No it wasn't. It was a classic troll.

You PRESUME there's been a "delay" when in fact you have NO evidence to present that this is so.

As others have pointed out (and anyone with any sort of business sense would know), Apple (like most companies) tends to refresh their product lines NOT the moment they can get their hands on NewFangled WhizzyDoodle A6108, but when their previous version starts to drop off in sales.

Sometimes this means that Apple is a bit AHEAD of the game, like when the original iMac came out with no "legacy" ports (which caused a huge uproar but didn't stop it becoming a hit), and sometimes (more often) being quite a bit behind the bleeding edge (their USB2 adoption was pretty slow, for example).

PC companies tend to try and grab the new technologies very quickly (often without bothering to check on how well they will work in the field) because new hardware features are pretty much all they have to offer. They don't make software and they can't really distinguish themselves from each other (since they all buy from exactly the same stack of chinese components).

So your initial premise contains a FALSE assumption, and as soon as someone tried to point this out, you went troll. Which may well have been your original intent.

We're not "defending" Apple. We're pointing out the reality of Apple's special place in the market. Yes, Apple does "compete" against PC makers for the unwashed masses. But they also DON'T compete against them, particularly with the base. Just as there are people (crazy people) who would never EVER look at anything that didn't run Windows, so there are millions and millions of people (like me) who wouldn't run anything other than Mac OS X (at least until something clearly superior came along, which seems incredibly unlikely).

As CORRECTLY pointed out, if you are a fan of Mac OS X or Apple's hardware designs or both (since they are intended to work together), your sole supplier is Apple. Most people, once they "buy into the Apple ecosystem" tend to stay there. So those customers are (largely) not eligible to be "competed to" by PC manufacturers anymore.

Apple is a forward thinking company that has always embraced technological advances.

Forward thinking, yes. Mindlessly grabbing the latest technology for the sheer sake of doing so, not so much. Just as an example: how many PCs come with some kind of Blu-Ray burner these days? Not all of them, of course, but quite a few. But Apple shows NO sign of being in a hurry to get them included as standard equipment.

but simply to ask others for their opinion of Apples upcoming refresh, and when they thought it might happen.

Well why couldn't you have asked it that way, instead of becoming argumentative?

The simple answer is that nobody here knows, but given some of the signs in the supply chain I would guess it would happen pretty soon. I've certainly been telling people thinking of buying a new laptop to hold on for a month, because I genuinely think it will happen within that timeframe. But I can't guarantee it.

For future reference, when asking speculative questions, try not to lard them up with presuppositions and strawmen. You will probably get more direct answers that way.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think that you are probably one of those folks that does need a lot of computing power...and you know quite a few other users in the same category...so a quad-core laptop may make a lot sense.

If you hang out in these sort of "power-user" groups...of course a quad-core laptop makes sense...but consider that many many users use their laptops for much more mundane tasks...and a quad-core laptop would be overkill.

And Apple may not sell enough of these quad-core laptops to make good business sense. I think when application or OS demands for the mainstream user become much more commonplace...then we will see quad-core laptops from Apple.

In your case...you have a number of quad-core options...the 27" iMac, and of course the Mac Pro's.:)

- Nick
For clarification the Intel Core i lineup, of mobile laptop processors are _not_ all quad core. Nor do they all run hot & drain the battery quickly, the i3, i5 and two i7's are dual core. Then they progress into the quad core category. As a result these are ideal, cool running, and very fast according to several sources who have performed benchmark tests. My new ThinkPad W510 WorkStation class laptop running a quad core i7 is super fast, moderatly warm running and demonstrates good battery life even while perfoming processor intensive 3D modeling, rendering, and scientific computational fluid and thermal dynamics work. My personal three week old 15" Unibody MacBook Pro is a machine I enjoy so much, that I plan to buy the upcoming 17" hi-res model. Thus my interest in the i7 version. Personally I believe it would be a huge compliment to Apple if they release these sooner rather than later.
Cheers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.