• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

MacBook Pro Core i5 / i7 Delay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Glossy MBP 2.66 GHz Core i7 8GB DDR3 RAM 500 GB 5400 RPM HDD 10.6.5 Snow Leopard
Hello,

According to an AppleInsider Article, if there are Intel i3/i5/i7 Processors in *future* MBPs, Apple would have to use IGP. However, it seems Nvidia has a plan that would allow seamless transition between IGP and discrete graphics. I prefer discrete graphics and would not like IGP onboard, but this is a compromise. I am ready to purchase another MBP, just waiting like others to see if the MBP Line is being refreshed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
This is great news, I was also fearing the worst of a July release...

Reaction score
It seems as if apple would rather go after the nintendo ds and sony psp market with their oversized ipod than address the needs of their customers who want productivity.

The 'new' MBP range..if there will be a 'new' range will be competing with the HP envy and the Viao Z machines...both of which literally obliterate the current MBPs in performance and price....so the new MBP's would have to really push the envelope to remain even remotely competitive.

i guess this is why it's a safer bet for apple to cater for the 10-24 year old market and push the ipad instead.

C

chas_m

It seems as if apple would rather go after the nintendo ds and sony psp market with their oversized ipod than address the needs of their customers who want productivity.

Yes. Because nothing Apple makes is in any way productive.

The 'new' MBP range..if there will be a 'new' range will be competing with the HP envy and the Viao Z machines...both of which literally obliterate the current MBPs in performance and price....so the new MBP's would have to really push the envelope to remain even remotely competitive.

And yet you are here on a Mac forum rather than waiting in line for those AWSUM Windows machines ... so ... are you stupid? :)

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.66GHz / 4GB / 320GB / Matte 15"

i guess this is why it's a safer bet for apple to cater for the 10-24 year old market and push the ipad instead.
You've brought up some valid points here. When Apple was struggling years ago, there was talk of it's demise. Unable to do much in the computer space, they created the iPod which initially met with mixed reviews. Then it took off, and literally saved Apple. It was at that moment that Jobs saw the vision of Apple morphing into the entertainment company it is today. Hence the sweeping change in the company focus. Renamed Apple Inc., from Apple Computer, Steve sent a message to Wall Street that there was no turning back. It was a controversial move at the time but now has made them billions. Steve Jobs public persona today is more like P.T. Barnum of years ago, he's the RingMaster that walks out and makes the "Big Announcement" to fans waiting with baited breath. Where else do you see lines of crazed fans lining up outside for hours upon hours, in all kinds of weather waiting for a store to open so they can be the first kid on their block to be perceived as "cool" because they have Apples latest gadget? It's all about Steve and the money. I've got to hand it to him, as he's raking it in faster than anyone else of his ilk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I don't believe the majority of the buying public knows anything about specs they walk into an Apple Store and look and play with the merchandise ask a few questions and make the purchase. It will always be a faster lower power consuming hardware just around the corner and with Sandy Bridge and Haswell in the works Arrandale will be yesterdays news. I guess my point is until people walk into the store and what they have
to offer doesn't seem fast and give instant gratification then sales will continue to climb.
Its the same way in the audio/video industry with HDMI 1.4 around the corner which will require a forklift overhaul of the system minus the speakers to get it to work will it be any better than 1.3 a little maybe.

Reaction score
How about if Apple doesn't want to release Macbooks with Core i Series anymore?

What if they want to use their own silicon next? A6, A8, A182934893 ? :)

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.66GHz / 4GB / 320GB / Matte 15"
How about if Apple doesn't want to release Macbooks with Core i Series anymore?

What if they want to use their own silicon next? A6, A8, A182934893 ? :)

Now that's a very interesting thought indeed. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They do have a surplus of funds you never know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC

No one can bash a company for how long they are taking to release a product, because Apple decides when the MBP is released, not HP or Microsoft or whatever else. And remember, it is not only the specs that make a computer, it is the software/hardware working together, which is what we call 'Macs':D

And yet you are here on a Mac forum rather than waiting in line for those AWSUM Windows machines ... so ... are you stupid? :)

Put a little bit too bluntly:Evil:, but I agree w/ you

Reaction score
Apple DOES compete with the Windoze world; if they didn't, we wouldn't be seeing those great Mac/PC ads on television. And while it's true that the average user doesn't need the latest speed, the same is true of all those average folks going out and buying windows PCs too. In my view, Apple needs to be seen as competitive in terms of its "under the hood" technology, especially now that Win7 is showing signs of life as (the first) reasonably good implementation of windows in a long time.

Another point to consider is that the longer Apple sells its notebooks with last-gen technology at its current prices, the bigger its margins on those machines because the part vendors have reduced prices on their components, including the chips. So Apple is milking these margins for as long as it can. Good news for shareholders, not quite so good news for consumers who are paying a bit more than market for a notebook containing these components.

But Apple will update its notebooks, and probably within weeks, because it won't want to be perceived as behind the technology curve. It has seldom been first to market on the bleeding technical edge historically, and this seems no different to me. I would encourage everyone to calm down and wait a couple months before bashing Apple on this point.

But I don't think it's right to suggest that Apple shouldn't put the new chipsets and other good components in its notebooks within a reasonable time. Otherwise, they run some risk on market share and will be charging too much for the hardware they are delivering. Let's just give them some time before jumping on them.

Cheers

Reaction score
If you ask me it is unlikely apple will be releasing anything new, since the ipad was JUST announced. I'm waiting for the NEW :) MBP and i think everyone else should. The drop in sales should scare apple in to submission :Evil: , but it's unlikely. apple is known to disappoint (sorry mac fans, you know it's true {mac air, ipad, ... } )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
apple is known to disappoint (sorry mac fans, you know it's true {mac air, ipad, ... } )

iPhone, iPods (nano, touch, classic, shuffle), possibly the iPad, Mac Pro, mac mini, iMac, Macbook, Macbook Pro, iTunes, App store, OS X = amazing success.

I are disappoint?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So far I have not been disappointed in any of my Apple purchases knowing that something better always lurks around the corner I am content with what I have till it
ceases to do the job then purchase the newest item within my budget.

Reaction score
iPhone, iPods (nano, touch, classic, shuffle), possibly the iPad, Mac Pro, mac mini, iMac, Macbook, Macbook Pro, iTunes, App store, OS X = amazing success.

I are disappoint?

Don't get me wrong. apple is awsome, thats why i'm switching to mac (if the new macbook pros ever come out :Grimmace: ) .but it seems they choose to use old hardware and overprice it for no reason other than they can.

C

chas_m

When Apple was struggling years ago, there was talk of it's demise.

That was 1997.

Unable to do much in the computer space, they created the iPod which initially met with mixed reviews.

Uh, no. They brought Steve back in, and then released the iMac, which was a HUGE hit and saved the company. This was 1998.

The iPod wasn't released until 2001, and did NOT do particularly well for quite a few years:

Ipod_sales_per_quarter.svg

Then it took off, and literally saved Apple.

Again, no. The iPod, as shown in the chart above, didn't really "take off" until three years after its introduction, in early 2005. By that time, Apple had already more than doubled its annual revenue, from around $5BN to $13BN.

[continued inaccurate blather snipped]

Now you know the actual story. And knowing is half the battle! :)

Reaction score
Perhaps the title is a bit misleading. It is afterall a loaded question. By asking why Apple delayed the Core i5/i7 processor update assumes that they announced it.

But if you want others to speculate just for the sake of speculating, then by all means speculate. Keep in mind though, everyone's speculation on here are just that, speculations.

Take it for what it's worth, which is nothing more than an opinion.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And I believe this thread has run it's course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.