• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

MacBook Pro Core i5 / i7 Delay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
What's laughable is that you seem to think that not one of us posting likes their Mac. Or that the present absence of a Core i processor is a deal breaker. This reflects a lot of negative thinking. Try reading the posts before assuming....heh!

This will be my last response on this topic. I am not going to feed into whatever it is you have going on. I love these forums because most people on here are very easy to get along with. Read into that as much as you would care to...heh (whatever heh means)!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
From what I heard the batterylife on those alien i7's are not that great. And maybe Apple is designing right now a battery to cope with this. Anyways it's all just speculation at this point as only Apple employees would know for certain. And I don't think thay would risk torture/sever legal action to leak any information.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MBP 2.66, 750GB 7200RPM HD, 8GB RAM; iPhone4S 64GB; 32GB iPad, White, AT&T.
Lest we not forget the Mac OS works better on less that a comparable Win machine. And yes, I am an actual expert on the subject.

edit: Not like I really want to be an expert on the subject..... :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
I know the processor is a big deal and all, but I really want to know when these are finally being released. I've been waiting for a laptop for almost 3 years now, and this next MBP looks to be the one.
I wish apple had put less attention toward the iPad, which was kind of a disappointment compared to all the hype and time it took...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I know the processor is a big deal and all, but I really want to know when these are finally being released. I've been waiting for a laptop for almost 3 years now, and this next MBP looks to be the one.
I wish apple had put less attention toward the iPad, which was kind of a disappointment compared to all the hype and time it took...

Apple is good a keeping their products out of the limelight till they are ready
and as for the iPad I would at least wait and give it a hands on before judging.
As a rule of thumb if you need a laptop buy it if you can wait do so but rest assured the ones everyone is waiting on will be replaced with a better one
each cycle thats business no future proof for the consumer and sandy bridge
may be Q4. The current core2duo's are plenty fast and reliable right now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
My original post was simply a question. There was no bias, criticism, or reason for anyone to feel compelled to defend Apple. Or to lecture on and on about how great, and all knowing Apple is, and how they have no competitors. Furthermore the original post did not question anything other than the obvious. Apple is a forward thinking company that has always embraced technological advances. It's a known fact that they will adopt the Core i series processors. The purpose of the question was not to debate the characteristics of the processor, or to challenge Apple's timing, but simply to ask others for their opinion of Apples upcoming refresh, and when they thought it might happen. A refresh they have performed as regularly and somewhat predictably as any other computer maker.
Cheers...

The original response was reasonable, you are the one who decided to label the poster as "Closed minded and narrow". From there on out it's all downhill. The point here is to post opinions, even if they differ. If you don't get that, you might want to not hit the "POST" button again.

What's laughable is that you seem to think that not one of us posting likes their Mac. Or that the present absence of a Core i processor is a deal breaker. This reflects a lot of negative thinking. Try reading the posts before assuming....heh!

Thanks for illustrating my point. You want intelligent discussion but apparently are not willing to give it. Don't forget, the other members are allowed to have their own POV even if you feel it's "negative".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
Apple is good a keeping their products out of the limelight till they are ready
and as for the iPad I would at least wait and give it a hands on before judging.
As a rule of thumb if you need a laptop buy it if you can wait do so but rest assured the ones everyone is waiting on will be replaced with a better one
each cycle thats business no future proof for the consumer and sandy bridge
may be Q4. The current core2duo's are plenty fast and reliable right now.

I agree, the reason I have been waiting is because I don't absolutely need one until I start University. And because this will be the last release before I go to school, I would rather it some out sooner than later:Evil:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was in the camp of waiting for the new intel chips but my MBP duo core 2GHz had a logic board problem (vram failure) so at Christmas 09 bought a new MBP D2C 2.53 GHz
and it is faster runs cooler built like a tank and the new track pad made the most difference + the better screen still have no regrets I will keep this one until it can't perform the given tasks which looks to be years to come.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.66GHz / 4GB / 320GB / Matte 15"
I'm back to join in on the fun. Any news from you experts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What I have noticed is the iMac which is available with the new i7 core processor has had
favorable reviews except a few screen problems but if these new chips are so cutting edge not saying they are not better but I have yet to read where its just night and day
difference from the ultimate core 2 duo just an observation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Agreed the difference between cutting edge and the previous generation product is getting smaller and smaller all the time.

Reaction score
Lest we not forget the Mac OS works better on less that a comparable Win machine. And yes, I am an actual expert on the subject.

edit: Not like I really want to be an expert on the subject..... :)
Because of your smiley, I think we agree. Most real experts in any field would not admit they were experts under pain of torture, except under oath on the witness stand in a trial. The best definition of "expert" I ever heard was:

EXPERT: Somebody from out of town who carries a briefcase and talks all the time.

:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It has to be soon. 10.6.3 was tracking for release by the end of February, with no outstanding known bugs. My money is on model identifiers embedded into 10.6.3 that would tip folks off to a new refresh and that likely accounts for the delay.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It has to be soon. 10.6.3 was tracking for release by the end of February, with no outstanding known bugs. My money is on model identifiers embedded into 10.6.3 that would tip folks off to a new refresh and that likely accounts for the delay.

Excellent info, based on your experience and "best guess" what do you see as the possible window of time, (from: x to: y) during which it may be released?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Excellent info, based on your experience and "best guess" what do you see as the possible window of time, (from: x to: y) during which it may be released?

Hard to say, but my best guess (and I am by no means an expert, nor do I have any inside knowledge) would be a week or two at most.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.26 Ghz 500 GB, iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz 1 TB
Instead of being sarcastic...pretend Apple computer was your company...tell us :

- Why you think Apple needs to or should release a laptop with an i5 or i7 processor?

- How many Apple laptop users out there do you think really need a laptop with a quad-core processor?

- A quad-core laptop would undoubtedly be an expensive "top of the line" computer...how many people do you think could afford or could justify purchasing one?

- How long or how expensive do you think it costs to develop & launch a new laptop computer...especially if most of your user base does not need it & if most of your current line of laptops is selling well?

Basically (as the theoretical owner of Apple computer)...why would releasing a laptop computer with an i5 or i7 CPU make good business sense?

- Nick

Well said!! I agree with you completely Nick!

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hard to say, but my best guess (and I am by no means an expert, nor do I have any inside knowledge) would be a week or two at most.
Wow! Now _that_ is exciting. Even if it runs longer I get the feeling that at least I won't have to wait till the end of July (I was preparing for the worst).
I've got to resume my daily visit to the Apple site, as I'm so eager I'd hate to "miss the cut" and find out after the first batch sold out.
Hmmm... Sounds like fun :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
as for portable computing power - what does xgrid do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.