Battery Bypass

T

Tel

Having used my iPod with a PC, I always had to unplug it from the computer and into a charger everytime I wanted it charged (I never bought one of those splitter cables) and what really annoyed me is whenever I wanted to transfer a great deal of songs (which, quite frankly, is very often) I had to full charge my iPod before transfering otherwise my battery would run out half way through and we all know thats not a good thing.

Needless to say I was pleasantly supprised when I plugged it into my iBook and see that it began charging straight from the firewire port. So this is what i'm thinking; because I have a lot of music (about 16GB so far, I've still got over 200 albums to rip yet,) to save space on my iBook could I fill up my iPod, set iTunes to manual updates so it doesn't delete anything, delete the original tracks from my iBook and point iTunes to add media from the directory of my iPod so that the tracks would play straight from my iPod.

So:

1. Would my idea work ok?

2. Would playing music directly from my iPod shorten its life?

I know that using it this way would cause the iPod disk to spin almost constantly, maybe this would shorten its life?

Also, once an iPod is full charged, does it bypass the battery and take power straight from the mains?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
1.yes
2.no, the ipods disk is not constantly spinning, it copies 30 or more tracks into a cache type memory and plays from there so the hd doesn't constantly spin, also, there are apps that will rip from itunes straight to the ipod so you don't have to rip to your ibook and then copy to the ipod.
heres one:
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/20023

OP
E

EvoMac

Great Idea Tel, I have been trying to come up with a solution to not put my songs on my iBook hdd directly due to lack of space.

MacMan thanks as always for a good followup, I will be doing this tonight.

OP
T

Tel

Macman said:
2.no, the ipods disk is not constantly spinning, it copies 30 or more tracks into a cache type memory and plays from there so the hd doesn't constantly spin, also, there are apps that will rip from itunes straight to the ipod so you don't have to rip to your ibook and then copy to the ipod.
heres one:
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/20023

I know that the iPod bufferes about 30 tracks or so into its cache when you're playing music on it, but I won't be playing music on it, I'll be using it as a hard drive and iTunes will be reading from it and buffering it to RAM instead of the cache which I know from using Winamp and iTunes on the PC kept the disk running almost constantly.

P.S thanks for the link but I've already set up an Automater script to do it for me :mac:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.