Craigslist Blocked Me: Will Changing IP Address on MAC Fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have Snow Leopard and CR has me blocked due to filters. I have read that I must change my IP address. If I change the IP of my MAC will this clear it up? Must I contact my ISP or will changing my IP on the machine take care of this?

Thank You

Reaction score
Hi there,
Craigslist are blocking your internet-facing IP, or your public IP.

You would need to contact your ISP to get a new IP, but depending on who your ISP is, they may or may not grant this request, depending on the reason you give them.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Your ISP is providing you a public IP address through your cable/DSL modem..if you have a router that is connected to this device and your Mac is connected to the router..you're getting a private/internal IP address that isn't visible/usable on the Internet (also known as Class C)..

If you are being blocked by Craigslist, they seldom block a specific IP address unless they have significant evidence of a particular IP spamming or doing bad things to their site..they'll most likely ban a whole range of IP addresses..

You should contact your ISP (assuming you aren't doing anything dumb) and ask them to expire your IP lease so that your modem can get a new one..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
The only negative is - if you've done something to cause your IP to be blocked by CL, getting your ISP to release it from you and assign it to someone else isn't fair to anyone else. You need to contact Craigslist and get the issue resolved - don't force onto someone else something you have caused.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The key question here is why has Craig's List blocked you? Like eBay they don't ordinarily block folks unless something is being done that's not in accordance with their rules.

Regards.

OP
O
Reaction score
I had Verizon "provide" me with a new lease and it works great.

Question: How Can I Prevent This From Happening Again???

A Static IP Will Not Help Correct?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
I had Verizon "provide" me with a new lease and it works great.

Question: How Can I Prevent This From Happening Again???

A Static IP Will Not Help Correct?

Thats easy....DONT DO WHATEVER YOU DID BEFORE !

OP
O
Reaction score
Now Why Would I Not Use A Service Such As CR? After All I Am Not Selling something illegal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
I wasn't referring to not using CR but to not getting banned again .

OP
O
Reaction score
The reason behind being blocked is simply because of uing CR in and of itself. In fact I used it 3 times this morning and these morons blocked me yet again.
ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I have to question then what it is you're doing with Craigslist. You don't just get banned for no apparent reason. Contact them to find out why they're doing it.

OP
O
Reaction score
I have to question then what it is you're doing with Craigslist. You don't just get banned for no apparent reason. Contact them to find out why they're doing it.

Unfortunately this is simply not the case. If you do a search you will find that this is quite common after CR installed strict spam filters.

We do nothing more than search the country looking for old Honda mini bikes. I hardly consider this a breach of the terms of the CR contract.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you do a search in such a way that could be construed as spam, you are violating their terms. I would suggest looking over their spam policy (or related policy) and comparing it with your actions.

OP
O
Reaction score
If using CR to locate and purchase legal items such as a mini bike is considered spam then I am guilty as charged.

I was under the impression that CR was created just for this purpose. A quick glance at CR shows all kinds of Twisted Listings yet CR bans users simply because they search outside of their immediate area??

Ludicrous!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
OneArmMan,

I've deleted and cleaned up a number of posts in this thread as we are a family-friendly forum.

Additionally, I believe this thread has served its purpose. Your issue is with the staff and administration of Craigslist. As has been suggested a number of times now, please contact them to find out the specifics as to why they keep banning your account. As a moderator, I know that at times we make mistakes because certain behavior fits a pattern. I'm sure that if you contact them they will make it right, just as we would.

OP
O
Reaction score
OneArmMan,

I've deleted and cleaned up a number of posts in this thread as we are a family-friendly forum.

Additionally, I believe this thread has served its purpose. Your issue is with the staff and administration of Craigslist. As has been suggested a number of times now, please contact them to find out the specifics as to why they keep banning your account. As a moderator, I know that at times we make mistakes because certain behavior fits a pattern. I'm sure that if you contact them they will make it right, just as we would.

Agreed!

Simply Trying To Emphasize The Fact That My Actions Do Not Constitute A Violation Of Terms.

Case Closed!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.