macmall service plan - anyone had experience with this? Seems shady

Reaction score
Hello,
I have bought with macmall before and not had any real problems; but they do try to push product and try to upsell heavily; which I am not too keen on. I am going to buy the macbook pro and also a service plan. Apple's is like $180 and Macmall offered one of their own for $108.
Has anyone had to use the macmall service plan? Any reviews or experiences? thanks,
Micah

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've not had any experience with Mac Mall since I do all my purchasing from my local Apple store. (about 10 minutes from my home)

However, you should take a look at purchasing Apple care from one of the many sellers on eBay. Many folks here have done just that. And yes, it's real Apple care. Just make sure the seller has a very high positive rating with lots of good feedback.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
However, you should take a look at purchasing Apple care from one of the many sellers on eBay. Many folks here have done just that. And yes, it's real Apple care. Just make sure the seller has a very high positive rating with lots of good feedback.

Only buy from eBay if the seller is willing to sell you an actual box.

There are plenty of sellers on eBay that sell cracked codes. The cracked codes are real codes, so they register and work fine, so the sellers get their positive feedback and stay in business.

But if someone else registers with the same code later, Apple will challenge you for a box number. If you don't have a box, you have no serial number and by then it's too late to leave negative feedback, so the seller can keep running the racket.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for the good info. I didn't know about the cracked codes.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Sorry to be harsh, but that really should be exposed. It's a huge scam, and the eBay sellers get away with a lot of money and do nothing to deserve it. Sometimes it works out for the buyers (the cracked codes are valid) and sometimes they're out the cash with nothing to show for it.

The eBay feedback is really meaningless for something like AppleCare, since you only have a limited time to leave it. There's no recourse afterwards.

And those who actually pay for AppleCare get stuck having to verify their box numbers, not to mention higher prices.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.