Which program is using TCP port 9335?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel 1.83Ghz Mac Mini, 2gb RAM, 80gb hd running os x 10.6.2
I am trying to run connect360 to access files off my mac through my xbox 360. It tells me I need to open TCP port 9335 and UDP port 1900. After contacting tech support for my router, we determined it has nothing to do with my router's settings and that it actually has to be a program on my computer using on of the ports. I did some research, then used network utility to do a port scan on my computer's LAN IP 192.168.0.2, with the range of 1000 to 10000. This is what I got:

Port Scan has started…

Port Scanning host: 192.168.0.2

Open TCP Port: 9335
Port Scan has completed…

TCP 9335 was the only thing that showed up! My question is, how the heck do I determine which program is using this port? I hope I have everything straight.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Do you have Connect 360 installed that connects to an XBox 360? That uses that port.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you have Connect 360 installed that connects to an XBox 360? That uses that port.

I know that. Something else on my computer is using that port and I need to free it for connect360 to work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Port 9335 ( both TCP& UDP ) is unassigned by IANA so it has to be part of a vendor specific protocol and not widely used.
Port 1900 is used as part of a discovery protocol, that I thought was no longer used.
If I remember correctly, Microsoft and HP used it a long time ago.... but I may be wrong

Are you using TwonkeyMedia by any chance ( check activity monitor )

There is a similar thread on this forum as well
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/airport-networking-wireless-technology/115332-port-1900-9335-use.html#post690819

I will do some checking and come back....

Cheers ... McBie

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Port 9335 ( both TCP& UDP ) is unassigned by IANA so it has to be part of a vendor specific protocol and not widely used.
Port 1900 is used as part of a discovery protocol, that I thought was no longer used.
If I remember correctly, Microsoft and HP used it a long time ago.... but I may be wrong

Are you using TwonkeyMedia by any chance ( check activity monitor )

There is a similar thread on this forum as well
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/airport-networking-wireless-technology/115332-port-1900-9335-use.html#post690819

I will do some checking and come back....

Cheers ... McBie

No twonkey media, I had found that in my many searches on this topic. I believe there is some sort of terminal command you can input to see what processes are using what ports (I found some info on it, yet to try it cuz I'm at work). According to my port scan, only port 9335 is being used. The scan did not, however, show WHICH PROCESS is using the port. Believe me, I've scoured long and hard before posting. I just need to figure out which process is using it, then kill it or change it if it's something I use regularly.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac 27" 2.66 GHz Intel Core 4Gb Ram|SL|Dual Band 1TB TC|AEX(n)|iPhone 4|iTouch 2G|160GB ATV|MBA
This is defo a media streaming process that is throttling those ports for you - Twonkey is the obvious consumer product (as you've found out), but as you are not using that, ensure there is nothing else on your network with similar installed: PS, TV, photo-frame etc...

Restrict all I/O traffic through your router/software firewalls initially - reset if need be - and then recreate all firewall/program access rules (after ensuring there isn't another media device in your house hogging that port range)....try disabling uPnP on your router, which auto binds through 9335 for such programs - sounds like a potential DLNA conflict to me...

Let us know how you get on...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac 27" 2.66 GHz Intel Core 4Gb Ram|SL|Dual Band 1TB TC|AEX(n)|iPhone 4|iTouch 2G|160GB ATV|MBA
As a footnote - try checking your processes for any Adobe programs (i.e. multimedia Flash instances etc) running - kill them and see if this solves the issue....

To find out what port are being used, by what programs (if running OS X), type the following into a terminal session:

sudo lsof -i -P

If port 9335 shows up under any of these - Robert's your Dad's brother....

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is defo a media streaming process that is throttling those ports for you - Twonkey is the obvious consumer product (as you've found out), but as you are not using that, ensure there is nothing else on your network with similar installed: PS, TV, photo-frame etc...

Restrict all I/O traffic through your router/software firewalls initially - reset if need be - and then recreate all firewall/program access rules (after ensuring there isn't another media device in your house hogging that port range)....try disabling uPnP on your router, which auto binds through 9335 for such programs - sounds like a potential DLNA conflict to me...

Let us know how you get on...

@Mac:
Thanks, I will try this today when I get home. I didn't think to factory reset my router, which I'll try. Also, thanks for the linux command! I'll look for an adobe process as well.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As a footnote - try checking your processes for any Adobe programs (i.e. multimedia Flash instances etc) running - kill them and see if this solves the issue....

To find out what port are being used, by what programs (if running OS X), type the following into a terminal session:

sudo lsof -i -P

If port 9335 shows up under any of these - Robert's your Dad's brother....

I factory reset my router - same problem still. I got an idea and plugged my airport express into my router, then turned off the wireless function on the router, creating a wireless network with the airport express. Viola! it worked. I don't want to use the airport express though, because the wifi connection is SO much stronger from the modem. My modem is an Actiontec PK5000 from Qwest. By doing this, I have identified that the problem is indeed a with factory configuration on the modem. I will use the airport express for now, and will contact actiontec again.

Thank you all for your helpful feedback!

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright, actiontec got back to me with some surprising news:

Resolution:
=========================
Currently the wireless has an issue that is under review when sharing media from game consoles to the network on wireless. It doesn't affect wired connections, only wireless.
This issue is being worked on by Qwest and Actiontec but currently there is no solution. You will have to wait until Qwest releases a new firmware at Qwest.net
We do not have a release date at this time however so you'll need to keep checking the site for updates.
We are aware of the issue so you do not need to send further contacts. The issue cannot be fixed without the release of new firmware for your router.
=========================

looks like i need a new router if i want this, or keep the airport...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.