router & external hard drive

Reaction score
Just bought a macbook pro, (OS X 10.6.2), we have a pc, that the Linksys (WRT54G) router is connected to, the printer is networked thru this router. I have a Maxtor OneTouch external hard drive this is connected to the pc thru a usb connection (I primarily use this to store my pictures & documents). I was able to set things up so that I can access these pictures thru my macbook, but I am unable to save anything to this hard drive. From what I've read I'm assuming it's the difference between how a pc & a mac read/format these hard drives.

So, my question is, if I had an apple airport extreme as my router instead would I then be able to connect this Maxtor external hard drive to it & both the macbook & the pc read & write files to it?

Or if I reformatted (after saving all the content first) the hard drive so the macbook could read/write to it, could I still have it connected thru the pc, like I do now? I'm looking for a solution that doesn't require the external hard drive directly connected to my macbook, for portability reasons.

Thanks so much for any help you can give, if it helps I'm new to mac.
Tami

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.