Clean X.3 Inst. on iBook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
I'm not certain when I plan on upgrading to Panther. However, if/when I do, I have a question about the installation. I'm not crazy about the idea of installing it over Jaguar. Would it be possible to do a complete clean install using the $69.00 Education Panther? Also, if it is possible, will my iBook retain its iBook-specific components with Panther? For example, "Help" is currently iBook-specific on my machine, as are a number of the "System Preferences" and certain Applications. Will Panther detect the fact that it is installing on an iBook, and tailor the install accordingly? How would I go about getting OS 9 back, since I assume it isn't included on the Panther disk?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
The education software is the same as the regular priced one. I have an iBook and a PowerBook, and i don't see any hardware specific software. I know some applications come with the iBook and not with the PowerBook.

As for keep all of your custom environment, that is a tough question to answer, with the little information we have. I know from experience using other favors of Unix. Some of your sytem file will be changed and you will not be able to get some of the functionality back. Must of us hope this is not the case.

That is one of the reasons why I don't alter my system much from the default environment.

Now to get down to your question. Looking at the last upgrade (Jaguar), Mac OS 9 was not part of the package. So i am guessing that it will not be part of Panther either.

Once you wipe the disk clean, you will need a copy of OS 9 to install. Then you would install Panther. I am assuming this is how you would install it, because this was the installation process in Jagaur.

Your iBook specific application you may need to get them off you restore disks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Im thinking maybe I won't do a clean install.. MacAddikt.. how did you install yours? I have quite a bit of stuff that I have done to the web server on my computer.. and Im not sure I really want to lose those changes.. or go and find what those changes were...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
i installed it on my external drive, but they still have the archive and install option.. ill see if when i choose my jaguar drive it lets me pick that option. if so, then im guessing it probably will move and needed files to their appropriate location in panther ... ill report back with my findings

OP
Padawan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Well what I mainly meant by "system-specific" was the fact that my "Help" is iBook-specific (e.g. Discover My iBook), the "System Preferences: has the Touch-Pad, and Energy Saver, and things like that. My question was basically, will a clean install of Panther sense the iBook, and install the "iBook Help" and all of those other things? Also, would I be able to pull OS 9 off of the disks that came with my iBook? And what exactly do you mean by "custom environment"? Thanks for the help.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If you wipe the disk clean, you will have to install OS 9.1 or later first. Which mean yu must have the 9.1 or later media. it did not come with the Jaguar release, so I don't think it will come with the Panther release. I can say about Dicover my iBook helps, but since all Apple laptops have touch pads. The software should load. The operating system software should load and build a kernel suited for the given hardware that you are loading it on. I am just not sure of how the help functions are loaded.

J

jcromartie

the rizzle dizzle

Here's the real deal:

Install OS 10.3.

Get your iBook discs out. Stick one of the software restore discs in. Run it. You will get OS 9, Appleworks, whatever you want back. The software restore discs just install extra software, and not the whole system.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.