• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

How do you move a project back into iMovie?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X v. 10.6.5
I created a movie in iMovie 09 and it exists on my hard drive with a "dvdproj" extension. When I open file>import (and any of its subparts) the project I want to move is not shown (some others are shown but they are grayed out).

How can I move that project back into iMovie 09 for further editing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
That dvdproj extension is an iDVD project folder. I don't think source material is copied into it from iMovie. Unless you removed the original iMovie project or events, iMovie should still have the original.

If you shared from iMovie to iDVD, check your "Movies/iMovie Sharing" folder. The other location to check is the "Movies" folder within the particular project folder. You can use the Finder to do that by right clicking on the project from the Finder and choosing "Show Package Contents".

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X v. 10.6.5
xstep wrote above that "unless removed the original iMovie project or events, iMovie should have the original".

I don't think I did and, if I didn't, where do I find that and get it back into iMovie for further editing?

And if I did or was about to, how do I keep from doing that and saving the project for further editing. For example, if I then work on an intervening project, how do I save the prior one so that I can return to it?

Thanks for anyone's help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
iMovie saves your project changes as you perform them.

If you can't see the old project and you didn't delete it, I don't know what to tell you beyond; Perhaps you are in a current project and need to click the "Project Library" button on the top upper left corner of the iMovie window in order to display the list of projects.

To find all of you iMovie project files, use Spotlight to search for .rcproject and use Show All to figure out where they are at. As for the imported content, that is more difficult although searching for "iMovie Thumbnails" may be helpful.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X v. 10.6.5
Thanks...what you gave me allowed me to recover/find the project I was hunting. It probably is simple to some to move to a new program, but it was stumping me. Thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.