• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

If you've ever wondered how Apple keeps it secrets, especially in China

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Well if that article is true. And a worker smuggles out Apple protypes or parts or even information from a factory in CHina and gets caught, the Chinese security will probably beat the person then sue them in the courts.

Does that kind of "your guilty before the trial" remind you of anything? It reminds me of The Nazis or the Russian KGB (in Stalin times). In those days in those countries you'd be beat or shot. If you survived long enough to make it to a trial you were one of the lucky ones. I know Apple has to protect it's secrets or Apple's way of doing things would be non-existant. But haaving such brutal security is a very harsh, and too much on my opinion. Ah but this is China we are talking about and not a western country. They still torture people. Heck the US did torture people before trial too till a few years ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
I doubt apple investors mind....thieves should be punished. How? Well, thankfully that's not up to you or me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP,2.53 GHz,4gb RAM....32 GB Ipod Touch 3G.....5th gen Ipod video 30 gb..
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Well if that article is true. And a worker smuggles out Apple protypes or parts or even information from a factory in CHina and gets caught, the Chinese security will probably beat the person then sue them in the courts.

Does that kind of "your guilty before the trial" remind you of anything? It reminds me of The Nazis or the Russian KGB (in Stalin times). In those days in those countries you'd be beat or shot. If you survived long enough to make it to a trial you were one of the lucky ones. I know Apple has to protect it's secrets or Apple's way of doing things would be non-existant. But haaving such brutal security is a very harsh, and too much on my opinion. Ah but this is China we are talking about and not a western country. They still torture people. Heck the US did torture people before trial too till a few years ago.

The Nazis, KGB, (and their predecessors the NKVD) and others were far worse than what is the likely fate of a person in China today if they steal. They are likely to spend Jail time but are not likely to be shot on the spot as would have happened in China even 10-15 years ago. And if you think the US doesn't still use methods that might be considered "torture" by the more left leaning among us, you are mistaken.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
I fail to see how Apple, the company based in California, has anything to do with how the Chinese run a factory in. . . well, China. I don't see Apple saying "hey, since the place is in China, we can get away with torturing and interrogating people if they leak information"

It doesn't make sense. Maybe someone can help me out on this bit?

OP
M
Reaction score
I fail to see how Apple, the company based in California, has anything to do with how the Chinese run a factory in. . . well, China. I don't see Apple saying "hey, since the place is in China, we can get away with torturing and interrogating people if they leak information"

It doesn't make sense. Maybe someone can help me out on this bit?

I'll try.

If I read the article correctly, Apple puts its rules in place with whatever entity manages the Chinese facility. It is then up to that entity to enforce those rules however it sees fit. It would not be appropriate for Apple to prescribe how an infraction is to be punished. But it is definitely appropriate for them to insist that their secrecy requirements are met.

That separation of Apple from the Chinese employees is what interested me in the first place.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I'll try.

If I read the article correctly, Apple puts its rules in place with whatever entity manages the Chinese facility. It is then up to that entity to enforce those rules however it sees fit. It would not be appropriate for Apple to prescribe how an infraction is to be punished. But it is definitely appropriate for them to insist that their secrecy requirements are met.

That separation of Apple from the Chinese employees is what interested me in the first place.

I think that would be true even if they were using a 3rd party manufacturer here in the US. The manufacturer sets it's rules based on the requirements of the contract. Now if a US employee were to leak secrets Apple could, if stipulated properly under the terms of the contract. demand that employee be fired, fined and even prosecuted. I suspect the same rules probably apply to the Chinese firms, but maybe not. I don't see any company, not just Apple, knowingly demanding that the Chinese have an employee beaten or tortured. That's just bad for business here in the west and I think most stock holders would actively object at that point.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Oh, okay. That makes a little more sense now.

Reaction score
Thanks for the article. Like most companies out there, they obviously need to protect their products.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.