Quicken equivalent for mac

Reaction score
Is there a financial program for mac equivalent to quicken? i'm hearing the quicken for mac is not good.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
MoneyDance for the Mac has received good reviews. There is also iBank, but reviews seem to say that it's not near as good as Quicken.

Regards.

Reaction score
Quicken for Mac is not good. In fact it is so bad, I use Quicken for Windows on a virtual machine that I run on my MacBook Pro with VMware Fusion and Windows 7. I just upgraded from Quicken 2007 to Quicken 2010. Frankly, I think that is the best bet.

I tried Quicken's online program Mint and found it not ready for prime time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro - Two 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon "Woodcrest" processors - OS X Leopard
Big Mistake!

I bought Quicken for Mac hoping to have the same functionality that Quicken Windows had, but it would not convert a huge percentage of my Windows Quicken file, it does not offer Loan Amortization Schedules, Savings Goals, and many more features. It's really screwed up my data. So I ended up having to go back to Windows Quicken until I find something that works well on the Mac. Even the latest version for the Mac is poor. Intuit has listed a number of things that don't work. Check this out:

Account types that do not exist in Quicken for Mac:

Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP) transactions
Employee Stock Option Plan (ESOP) transactions
Quicken for Windows business accounts:
Invoices
Business bills
Loan amortization schedules
Online banking information such as account setup information, Online Payees, and online payment instructions
Scheduled Transactions
QuickFill (memorized) Transactions
Saved or memorized reports
Security price history
Tax status of Investment accounts
Certain types of investment transactions.

It's actually quite pathetic. Who would buy this? Also, they don't have this information right on the front screen. You have to dig around for it, which is what I didn't do before I bought it and ended up losing $60. I really don't like Intuit. Why bother releasing a product that's only 1/4 baked?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I used Quicken on Windows, then switched to MoneyDance which worked quite well. But, somehow over the last few years my need for either program has evaporated.
Between the tools that come with my on-line banking, and Excel I find I no longer need anything Quicken was doing for me. Admittedly, my needs may not be all that significant. Though I do have a couple of IRAs with stock holdings in them, but no rental properties or such.

Kind of a rambling post, bottomline: I second CWA on MoneyDance as an option.

Reaction score
Quicken for Mac has always been notoriously weaker than Quicken for Windows. I run Windows 7 under VMware Fusion on my Macbook Air Ultimate primarily in order to be able to run Quicken 2010 for Windows. I run a few other Windows programs, too, but leave Quicken up and running on the OS X desktop 24/7.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.