Are MBP's problematic?

Reaction score
Since I have been doing my homework on Notebooks whether it be Dell. Toshiba or Apple, the one thing I see here are how many issues have with their MBP's. What's up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
No, I don't think they are problematic. We just like our MBP enough the complain about it :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Had my last one three and a half years constant use from morning till midnight it finally
started having vram issues so I got a new one can't complain for the hours ,days,weeks
and years it was on.

C

chas_m

Try to bear in mind that the millions of happy users aren't likely to write into a forum like this. It's the ones with a problem who tend to complain, yes? :)

After many years on forums like this, I've come to the conclusion that about 80-90 percent of the problems you see on forums like this are ultimately down to the user's fault. That's not to say people are stupid, but to say that actual hardware defects are actually fairly uncommon (if you root through the threads and follow-ups).

Apple leads the ENTIRE industry on both reliability (low chance of having problems in the first place) and customer care (if there is a genuine problem). There just isn't a company in the industry who is consistently making better quality computers than Apple, and there's plenty of statistical evidence (mostly found in PC magazines, ironically) to back that up.

Consumer Reports: Apple leads in support - by double digits (updated) | The Apple Core | ZDNet.com (2008 rankings)

Consumer Reports Takes a Shine to Apple - Gadgetwise Blog - NYTimes.com (2009 rankings)

Please note that both of these refer to ratings by Consumer Reports, which has a long history of being rather hostile to Apple (they list "does not include Windows" as a minus, for example).

The latest models are too new to see how they compare to previous models, but I've not heard of a flood of recent models in chatting with my tech friends, so I'm inclined to believe the current batch are also very high quality (given that they are a mass-manufactured item on a huge scale being made in China).

The 2.5 year old BlackBook I'm using to write this has been far and away the best laptop I've ever owned.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Since I have been doing my homework on Notebooks whether it be Dell. Toshiba or Apple, the one thing I see here are how many issues have with their MBP's. What's up?

Since this forum is devoted to Apple Notebooks, and the MBP is the most popular, and add to that - people post whenever they have problems, I would expect to see posts concerning issues they're having.

That's the way forums are. People don't ordinarily post to say "how well they're so and so machine has been running for the past such and such time."

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2.26ghz MacBook 6,1 Late 2009 250GB HD 8GB ram, Mavericks, 30GB Ipod Video, 16GB Iphone 5 ;-)
From what I've noticed from classmates and co-workers in the design field that use MBP's, some had problems with this model. From it being Hard drive problems or over heating. Over heating has been a big problem.

I'm not sure if the newer MBP have fixed these problems or not.

I'll stick to my white MB 13", I think 4th gen. I've had it for about 2 years now and it hasn't given me any problems whats so ever.

Reaction score
I have had 0 problems with my MBP. I think it actually liked the chocolate milk I spilled on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2008 MBP

Sounds like you are currently a windows person... if that's the case I would worry more about your ability to transition to the Mac OS than the macbook breaking.

Some people, my wife for one, simply don't like the mac book because it only has 1 mouse button and she can't stand having to do the quirky things with her fingers to get it to act like a right mouse click... so if you are a die hard windows person, worry more about whether you want to switch operating systems first...

the biggest complaints I have ever had about the macbooks has been more to do with the flimsy design that makes them prone to looking beat up (though still work)... as in plastic clipped off on the white macbooks... dents are very easy to get in the unibodies... both those things annoy the crap out of me but neither of them affect the computers ability to work... so if you are a little on the obsessive compulsive side macbooks can make you crazy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MBP 2.66, 750GB 7200RPM HD, 8GB RAM; iPhone4S 64GB; 32GB iPad, White, AT&T.
I believe this is where many people look for answers to issues. Many switchers come here and ask rudimentary questions (like myself), only because Win users are so used to tinkering fixing and cleaning, that the concept of a computer that just works takes a while to get used to.

OP
F
Reaction score
Sounds like you are currently a windows person... if that's the case I would worry more about your ability to transition to the Mac OS than the macbook breaking.

Some people, my wife for one, simply don't like the mac book because it only has 1 mouse button and she can't stand having to do the quirky things with her fingers to get it to act like a right mouse click... so if you are a die hard windows person, worry more about whether you want to switch operating systems first...

the biggest complaints I have ever had about the macbooks has been more to do with the flimsy design that makes them prone to looking beat up (though still work)... as in plastic clipped off on the white macbooks... dents are very easy to get in the unibodies... both those things annoy the crap out of me but neither of them affect the computers ability to work... so if you are a little on the obsessive compulsive side macbooks can make you crazy.

I use to be a PC user but bought an iMac about 1.5 years ago.

Reaction score
I've owned windows based computers for years. I knew I was going to suffer through crashes and failures and sluggish run times and random work refusals. I wasn't surprised when they happened, I rebooted, and tried again. If the problems were chronic, I swore at the blasted things, did an online search for the problem, unplugged the freaking tower and hauled it in to work for one of my more technical minded friends to tinker with. I've spent more in "upgrades" and "fixes" and gas for my car to and from the repair shop than I did for my MBP.

Granted, I'm really new to all of this and have only had the MBP for a week, but I don't EXPECT this computer to fail every time I turn it on. If and when it happens, I will be surprised. I don't know anyone who has a mac, and I know plenty, who complain about them, whose faces don't light up when they talk about them. I don't know anyone who owns a pc who doesn't ***** about it, nigh on constantly. Mostly what I see here are people with a problem, and 10 people encouraging the problem owner that it'll be alright, or commiserating with them when it won't be. I've yet to read the typical kind of product slagging that you get about pc's.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
So you have researched Dell, Toshiba and apple and are surprised to read about problems with the MBP on an apple forum? WEIRD!!!

Dells don't last long enough to keep around and complain about them! :D

Reaction score
So you have researched Dell, Toshiba and apple and are surprised to read about problems with the MBP on an apple forum? WEIRD!!!

Dells don't last long enough to keep around and complain about them! :D

That's not entirely true, I was complaining about one just last night. I think I might even have used some four letter words.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
LOL!

"#@$@ you, Dell!!!" ?

Reaction score
LOL!

"#@$@ you, Dell!!!" ?

I think what I said was, "You piece of ****ing ****, I'm going to throw you out the ****ing window and then drive over you with the god ****ed car!" It didn't seem impressed, or intimidated. I'm going to burn my Christmas tree on Saturday night. Maybe I'll toss it on the fire and dance around it. I'll let the MBP watch. I bet it's too much to ask for a full moon, isn't it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13'', 320GB, 2.26GHZ, 2GB
I've had my 13'' Macbook Pro for about 2 month now and i've had no problems with it, maybe i will but its technology, everything has problems.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

If you go to a Dell forums you will see 1000's of complaints about Dells. Same if you went to a Toshiba support forum. Support forums are places people come for help. You don't see the people who never have issues, just the ones that do.

I see a lot more issues with most brands of Windows computers than MBP's.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.