Does charging heat up the battery? (MBP)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
Not sure this deserve a thread, but here goes...

Have had my MBP for about 2 months now. When I use my MBP on battery and doing medium usage that cause the notebook to heat up somewhat, warm under the belly. Once the battery gets low, I plugged in the charger, it then charged up to green. I then unplugged the charger so there's no chance of tripping over it, using the laptop once again on battery. Here's the 'problem'...

The laptop seems to get hotter after the charge. I get only about 2.5 to 3 hours of indicator on my battery at full charged. Even after I dial down the usage to very light wireless internet surf and mail. I know the indicator can lag when situational use changes. But even after half hour of very light use I still get the same 2.5 hours total from the battery.

This happened to me a couple of times. Does anyone else goes through similar situation with theirs. So now when I charged up my MBP. I don't unplug and put it on battery right away. I wait about half hour longer to give it a chance to cool down before using it on battery again. This seems to help get the full 4-5 hours from the battery.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Mine is new since Christmas and never really gets hot and battery life is always around
6 to 7 hours I would take it in to the Apple Store.

OP
quin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
Mine is new since Christmas and never really gets hot and battery life is always around
6 to 7 hours I would take it in to the Apple Store.

I'm not sure it warrant to bring it in at this point. I just think when it gets heat up it under perform and the battery itself my be a contributing factor to the heat.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2.26ghz MacBook 6,1 Late 2009 250GB HD 8GB ram, Mavericks, 30GB Ipod Video, 16GB Iphone 5 ;-)
No it shouldn't heat up the battery while charging.

Get it checked ASAP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.