Macbook Air, Bootcamp, and Windows 7

Reaction score
So I've spent the past two days searching and partially succeeding in installing Windows 7 to the bootcamp partition. In the end, I failed and I'm sick of google. What I'm gonna do is list what I have, and what I've tried.

-USB External Hard Drive
-Macbook Air
-Windows 7 ISO
-Mac OSX DMG
-Windows 7 PC w/ DVD drive
------------------------
What I've tried:
-Some method which required Remote Disc to work, which doesn't
-Making the External HDD bootable
-Other methods are ruled out
-Can't burn Mac Install CD (Too big)

I greatly appreciate if anyone can shed any light on my dilema. All I want is Windows 7 on a bootcamp partition so I can play my lovely games on my lovely new MBA. If anyone can help, I thank you, truly.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It sucks, but you are most likely going to have to either buy or borrow the Air SuperDrive:

Apple MacBook Air SuperDrive - Apple Store (U.S.)

Boot Camp and EFI are apparently very exacting in their requirements for your installation media. Your only other alternative would be to try an install from a flash drive, but I know of at least one other person that tried and failed using normally acceptable measures.

OP
J
Reaction score
I'm trying to avoid that SuperDrive thing. And you say an alternative would be a flash drive. Can't an external hard drive be used the same way? I don't have a USB large enough for Windows :(.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
OP
J
Reaction score
I meant USB flash drive. I have a 100+ (I dont remember how much) external usb drive, but I can't get my MBA to boot it, then the windows installation...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mb air
did anyone find a good solution?

I tried to use rEFIT but the boot manager wouldn't work properly.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Like the advice given above, your best bet is to buy the compatible Air super drive from Apple. However, you've nothing to lose by trying the bootable flash drive method outlined in the link give by the OP. If your Air will boot from the flash drive utilizing the Windows 7 boot sector method, you should then be able to install Windows 7.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.