Setting up new business and need a database program....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4Ghz Dual Core Intel, 2GB RAM.
Hi there,

I'm a newbie (so a big hello to everyone). I'm from the UK and am in the process of setting up a new business doing IT support. Its something I've done for a long time on the side line and now the time has come to begin properly.

However, I'm stuck with how to proceed with something simple. I need to keep track of my customers, support issues when I'm at home, so I have a secure database of their setups but also need access to it when I'm out and about. I.e. what is Mr Smith's router password I setup for him 6mths ago...

Carrying around a laptop etc is fine, but I was thinking if I can find a program I can store on a server/my MacBook back at home and sync it with my IPhone when I'm out then I'd be a strong position.

I've looked at Bento but not sure its the program for me... any other bright ideas would be appreciated?!

Many thanks,

YITM. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
You can look at a web solution to your problem - say creating a webserver (using SSL) at work that hosts OCS NG (inventory control) and GLPI (help desk) you can use an app to run to collect information about your clients computer (software, hardware, etc. - normally the software runs all the time, but you can run it once to get an inventory) store it in the OCS database (that interfaces with GLPI) then use GLPI to log issues and repairs and other notes. Since it's web based, and as far as I remember - all server side scripting - it should display on the iphone web browser.

Just a thought :)

OP
Y
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4Ghz Dual Core Intel, 2GB RAM.
Thank you Nethfel. That is a sound idea... as we do web design/hosting it shouldn't be too challenging and you're right - I could access the content from my web browser on the iPhone, and I guess, from home too. Takes away the home IT network requirement too. Good thinking, I like it. Cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Well, good luck - hopefully it'll fit your needs nicely. I set it up and use it at work - makes it a lot easier to track all of the systems.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.