• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

iBrowse 1.0

W

word32

rumor has it that there's some new program that's coming out called iBrowse 1.0 that will allow you to access the web from your ipod photo, or give you aim only on ipod normal and ipod mini.

full story here

hm....... what do you think?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Well it would help if the iPod had an internet connection so I am going to say no

OP
W

word32

hm.....

well, they got new pics and it turns out you have to buy the accessory for $25 but there's no monthly fees...

i'm off to join the dev team so i can get one free

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I find it funny that the scroll bars are very similar to Windows XP's theme.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
I think its fake... the attachment looks exactly like an itrip with a little black thing drawn on. But im going to look in to it because AIM on my ipod would be awesome. so lets say this was real... who ever is making money from it is guna be a millionaire real fast

OP
W

word32

haha! ur right. but, i'm gonna look into it too. i'm pretty much same here. aim would be awsome

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Yes its a fake here is the email that bounced back when i emailed them

The original message was received at Sun, 22 May 2005 18:40:13 -0700 (PDT)
from smtpin01-en2 [10.13.10.146]

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
<[email protected]>
(reason: 554 <[email protected]>: Relay access denied)

----- Transcript of session follows -----
... while talking to mail.communityarchitect.com.:
DATA
<<< 554 <[email protected]>: Relay access denied
554 5.0.0 Service unavailable
<<< 554 Error: no valid recipients
RSET
<<< 421 mail.freeservers.com Error: too many errors
Reporting-MTA: dns; smtpout.mac.com
Received-From-MTA: DNS; smtpin01-en2
Arrival-Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 18:40:13 -0700 (PDT)

Final-Recipient: RFC822; [email protected]
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: DNS; mail.communityarchitect.com
Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 554 <[email protected]>: Relay access denied
Last-Attempt-Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 18:40:14 -0700 (PDT)

Date: May 22, 2005 9:40:10 PM EDT
To: [email protected]
Subject: ibrowse

hello I am looking for some more info on ibrowse so thankyou for any info that you can provide.

--Ben

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
yeah it looks fake to me , also it's quite pointless because there is no good way to imput data onto it , and you'ld have to figure away to run the program and so on ... so yeah it's pretty much fake . i meen look at the ipod linux project , it's getitng there , but your not running kde or any kind of X server , and pretty much no gui at all , so developing an app that would act like a browser would take far much time than this thing has been out , considering how long the ipod linux project has been going , and think about how long the ipod photo has been out , the time scale for dev . dosent add up either , so yeah it's gotta be fake .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200
So fake its Kentucky Fried.Period.

Reaction score
Isn't it interesting how the main administrator of their forums is also named 'Word32'?

iWhat said:
I find it funny that the scroll bars are very similar to Windows XP's theme.
I thought the exact same thing when I first saw those images. Someone must have had fun editing those into the screen.

Nice scam! ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Just buy this $25 attatchment which will allow you to receive the web signals and the rest is free!
Web signals?

Anyone tried this yet:

1) Take a large sheet of tin foil and wrap it around your head.
2) Stick 2 large antennas to your tin-foil-cranium device and attach Teletubby dolls to each end.
3) Go to your nearest shopping mall and receive 100% free 'Humorous response signals" from people you pass.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Aptmunich said:
Web signals?

Anyone tried this yet:

1) Take a large sheet of tin foil and wrap it around your head.
2) Stick 2 large antennas to your tin-foil-cranium device and attach Teletubby dolls to each end.
3) Go to your nearest shopping mall and receive 100% free 'Humorous response signals" from people you pass.
lmao .

OP
W

word32

xbox-linux! i need to get that for my ipod! google time!

other things i learned:

"the xbox linux is the base of ibrowse" as said in my e-mail back

ok, a few answers:

i did copy the name of the administrator of ipodize (word32)

i have gotten 1 succesfull e-mail back

i have some suspicions about this "ibrowse, but i'm lookin' into it

OP
K

Kokopelli

<NOTE> This is a bit more sarcastic than my normal conservative fare. It is not meant as a jab at anyone, but I can not come up with anything polite to say about this.</NOTE>

word32 said:
ne one else?

OK I will bite. It is a load of horse hockey. If someone is going to come up with a joke at least make it a good one.

First the iPod (photo or otherwise) is absolutely awful as a general use computer. To accomplish what this "iChat" claims to accomplish you would need to add an OS with TCP stack to the device. Definitely doable, but difficult while keeping the iPod functional as an iPod.

Next, how exactly are you going to type meaningful messages with the iPods physical interface? A scrolling keyboard would be painful at best. Why not instead include a podcast teaching the new user morse code? Useful AND educational. How are you going to navigate web pages in such a way as to not be mind numbingly frustrating? How much text do you think you can display? And of course you are trying to ram (based upon the picture) a fully fledged graphical browser in there? It is possible it is a WML (or variant) browser but this site gives about as much meaningful information as a Bedouin on deep sea fishing.

Finally to cap this farce is the idea that you will stick a small transceiver that only costs $25 and through some magical means receive the "web signals." Foolish me, here I thought I actually had to get a service or otherwise connect to a wireless hub. I see the error of my ways, all I need is this white dongle and the "web signals" will be available for free!!! Do you think they can port this magical "web signal" receiver to something useful... Like a Mac? Heck I would blow my budget and spend $50 for a device that connects through my analog mini jack and allows me to connect to the internet from anywhere.

Is it possible it is on the up and up? Yeah. And maybe I'm a Chinese Jet Pilot.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.