iMac audio input problem

Reaction score
Hi

Just tried to tune my guitar in GarageBand and it wouldn't "hear" it using the usb lead I have used before. Bit odd.. Anyway, I've done some digging and I can't get any audio into the machine via that USB lead, or via the internal microphone. Oddly if I hit the end of the lead it registers as feedback so something works.

However the microphone won't record anything (tried in Quicktime and Audacity (after selecting internal mic in the prefs))

Now.. I had Soundflower installed a while ago to record streamed audio. I have now uninstalled that and rebooted and still nothing.

In the sound preferences for instal mic nothing seems to register on the input level, unless I move the input volume around and then the level just flashes randomly at different levels like it is hearing something but it obviously isn't.

I'm really not sure what the problem is. Any thoughts, or anything you think I could do to isolate the issue? The fact that it is all audio input (guitar and mic) makes me think its not a hardware problem per se, but something that's wrong with the software controlling the inputs - hence my query on Soundflower..

iMac and latest version of OSX 10.6.2

thanks!
Dave

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.