• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Video / Audio Problems

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to these forums, so I accidentely posted this first in the Powerbook section before I saw this specific section. Anyway, I just got my Powerbook, and I am having trouble viewing videos on websites and some audio.

When I try to watch some videos from websites, it says I do not have an Internet plug in. Someone from the Powerbook section told me to download mPlayer. I did that, and it still says I don't have an internet plug in. Then it tells me to go to a site to get one, and that site has the option to download either Windows Media Player or Real Player. I have Windows Media Player downloaded also, and still it says the same thing. Also, for instance, some audio from sites aren't working, for example, Amazon music I cannot listen to the samples, etc.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

D

dib1066

Well, without knowing what version of the players you have, here's what I suggest, make sure you have the most up-to-date versions of windows media player, real player and quicktime, Each site will have their own little quirks. If they want you to install a plug-in, and the link takes you to the site for the specific player, do so, if you are having problems viewing certain movie downloads in quicktime, you can always download the Divx for mac which alows you to view windows media files in quicktimes, takes about 2 minutes to download and toss in the appilcations folder. That lets you play .avi files and everything else. As for the amazon problem, I dunno, I played clips with no problem, so I'd suggest having both real player and windows media so if one doesn't work, the other likely will. Try clearing your cache in safari, doing it again or checking the help section on amazon to see if they have any better suggestions

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.