Finding PC files on my Mac...

Reaction score
I'm brand new to this forum, so I apologize profusely if this topic is taboo in this space, but I have exhausted all other resources.

I have a brand new Macbook Pro and I run a license exam practice test program produced by the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards through a utility called CrossOver. This has worked exactly as planned, except I cannot find any of the reference files that the practice test program uses so I can swap out alternate practice tests.

In other words somewhere on my computer there is a file called "BTUT99AC.dwg" but no amount of finder searches, spotlights, etc has let me find where this file is actually housed on my machine.

btw, if the answer is buy parallels and windows and search that way, I'm not interested.

Thanks.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Welcome to the forums. I'm going to move this thread over to the 'Windows, Classic, Linux, Other OS forum' since the forum you posted to is more for asking questions or making comments about the forum itself. I know a lot of people see "Support" in the forum title and confuse it as a general support forum.

As to your question - Crossover uses a technology called "WINE". WINE typically creates its own folder structure in the user's home folder that mimics the Windows filesystem (including the user profile - things like 'My Documents' and whatnot).

I have very limited experience with Crossover, but I found that when you install an application using it, it creates a "WINE bottle". That is, a self-contained archive that contains the file system. The trick in this case is to figure out where that "WINE bottle" is stored and see if we can peruse it using the Finder.

I will do a bit of digging and see what I can find via the documentation. But I thought that little tidbit might give you some idea of where to look.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, I think I have your answer.

I was on the right track - your Windows file system is contained within the bottle, and that bottle is stored in your Home folder.

Go to:

Macintosh HD => Users => <your home folder> => Library => Application Support => CrossOver => <name of the bottle you installed the application in> =>

There you should see a "drive_c" folder, and that's exactly what it is, the C drive for your "virtual" Windows drive. So, now it's just a matter of figuring out where on the "C drive" you saved your files.

OP
A
Reaction score
ugggh.

Thank you. Finally, this is the type of guidance I was looking for.

Okay, I'll give this a shot as soon as I get home, but I appreciate your help no matter what.

OP
A
Reaction score
CWA, thanks so much, this is exactly the information I needed. The files were were you told me they would be.

really, thanks a bunch.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're quite welcome. Glad I could help.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Good job CWA! This post might help others in the future who use Crossover.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.