How do I uninstall Epson drivers in Snow Leopard?

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I've just been on the Epson website and have noticed that there's new intel specific software and drivers for my SX515W all-in-one.

I've downloaded the files, but was wondering, what's the best way to uninstall the original "Universal" files that were installed from the retail CD that came with the SX515W?

By the way, I'm running 10.6.2 on an Intel C2D 2.26GHz Mini

Thanks for any help. :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Depends on where they are. Normally, printer drivers are placed here:

/Volumes/MacIntosh HD/Library/Printers/

However, the original universal Epson drivers may be elsewhere, like here:

/Volumes/MacIntosh HD/System/Library/Printers/

My advice is to leave them be. You might wind up removing something that's needed and more than likely the original drivers are not taking up much HD space anyway.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
This from a quick google - As part of Apple’s plans to help trim the footprint of Mac OS X Snow Leopard, the new system will cease the customary installation of several gigabytes of printer drivers and instead load only the files necessary for existing devices, relying on Software Update to obtain new drivers in the future as needed.

So why bother removing a driver?

OP
Rottie
Reaction score
Thanks to all for the replies. :)

I understand where you're all coming from, regarding the drivers for the printer, but what about the new intel-specific applications, such as Epson Scan, etc, which at the moment, are installed de-facto from the retail CD as universal apps?
Ideally, I'd like to remove the universal versions and replace them with the intel-specific ones.

What I'll probably end up doing in the long run (so I don't have issues with conflicting drivers, etc) is reinstall SL from the DVDs that came with the Mini and then install the Epson files that I've downloaded, without bothering with the retail CD.

C

chas_m

I see no reason to do all this extra work at all.

The Intel-specific ones will, at worst, overwrite the "old" ones.

Software Update would probably take care of this BY ITSELF if you'll just let it.

You seem to be making a lot of busy work for no reason, IMHO.

OP
Rottie
Reaction score
<snip>
Software Update would probably take care of this BY ITSELF if you'll just let it.
</snip>
Hi Chas,
SU did indeed download some epson printer drivers, the other day, when I set the Mini up. I'm not sure whether these were the intel drivers, or just updated universal ones, but I'm sure there's a way to check.

AIUI, SU only deals with drivers, not applications, so I'd have to manually update those myself, from downloaded images, which I have. Hence my original query, as I'd want to make sure I do a complete (or as complete as possible) uninstall of the software, to ensure that I have no conflicts.

I do agree with you that this seems a little too much work, but at the end of the day, I'd rather do the work now and have a machine that runs the way I want it to than have to do it later on, when I don't have the time or inclination.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.