Need help with router set up Dlink DIR-615

Reaction score
Hello. I had internet installed today (with Virgin) and need to set up my own wireless connection. The ethernet connection works fine. I then connected the modem to my router (Dlink DIR-615) and the router to my Mac. I connected to url: 192.168.0.1 --> I entered with the username Admin and left the password blank. All this works fine to configure the router. However, I must have messed up from there. Don't know what happened really, but whenever I go to 192.168.0.1 now it is asking me for a password and login which I don't have a clue about.

This all happened after I had to choose my internet setting: I think I chose Dynamic? Which was chosen by default (I thought). However, now I need to enter a username and password which I don't have.
Maybe I choose the wrong setting? Can I go back?

I tried to reset the router to its initial settings, but that didn't have an impact.

Can someone please help? Thanks in advance.
Kaat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Try Admin in both fields, that's the default on mine.
Failing that, reset the router using a paper clip (there's a small hole on the back).

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks. However: admin admin as user and password doesn't work.
I did reset the router before, I held down the button for approx 10 seconds. The lights started blinking orange, and went back to normal (yellow and not blinking) after a while. However, nothing changed about me trying to get the router installed. Still stuck... :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Ok. The lights should be all green if all is well.
Switch the router off for a few minutes and disconnect it from the mains.
Switch it back on and reset it again.
Now connect it to the Mac via ethernet and try logging in with admin again. It really should reset completely, and you'll be fine.

BTW, Dynamic is correct.

Come back again if you still have a problem.

OP
K
Reaction score
Ok. Perfect. I will try that and come back here if anything is off. Have a nice eve, and thank you for the prompt replies!

OP
K
Reaction score
Hiya, unfortunately I'm back.
I've reset the router and all the lights (4 in total) are green. On the modem 3 are green + restarted my mac.

When I type in 192.168.0.1. in the url the following shows up: http://advancedsearch.virginmedia.com/subscribers/assist?url=www.192.168.0.1.
It says we could not find 192.168.0.1.

However, the site is still in my 'top sites' when I access it from there. I used admin/admin as user and password. It gives me the same answer: both are invalid.

Any ideas?

OP
K
Reaction score
I tried admin as username and left password blank... I got in!!!!!
Yayyyy!!!! It says now: internet connection wizard... tell me what to do next? don't want to make mistakes!!! :) THANK YOU already!!!!

OP
K
Reaction score
I clicked on Internet connection wizard:
It asked me to type a password (of my choosing) and to confirm it done.
Next step: time zone (GMT) + NTP server used. It gives me two options:ntp1.dlink.com OR ntp.dlink.com.tw

which do i choose? Don't even know what the difference is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad you got into it.
Nor do I. I don't remember that setting. Either way it's just asking which server you want to take your time from, so pick the first.

C

chas_m

This thread is as strong a testimonial for why Apple routers are worth the extra bucks as anything I've read.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What brand and model is the modem? Is this DSL or Cable?

Reason I ask is some DSL Modems have a router built in also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cable, and the modems are usually Sagem, mine is.
I have the same router and had no problem setting this up (same ISP).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro

Yeah, I have the 628 and it wasn't hard to set up. I think D-Link makes some fine routers!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

Thanks Kev for the heads up. Should work fine then.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks you guys, all is set up well!! Love these forums as Virgin didn't even bother to pick up their phone. The lack of good customer service is WOW!!

Have a nice day!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD
I had so many problems with my D-Link router & time capsule.
The router wasnt letting the timecapsule assign the IP addresses so the proverbial sh hit the fan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.