internet interferes with sound on G4 Powermac

b2c

Reaction score
Hello

I have a dual 1Gb G4 powermac (the one with the mirror door + really loud fan).
Running OSX 10.4.11
It was generously given to me by a friend. But he did say that he had trouble with popping noises of the internal soundcard.
So I put in a M-Audio Audiophile 2496
Switched over the output and sound effects to it in the system preferences.
Problem is, if i'm listening to music on itunes and on-line at the same time i get a strange distortion in the sound which builds up from a few quiet crackles to completely distorting the sound. The start of the noise normally seems to coincide with changing pages on the internet - particularly when on sites with audio or video players on them.
Sometimes if i open system pref. and switch everything back the internal speakers and back again to the audiophile it resets it back to good sound again. But most of the time i have to restart the mac.
I have re-installed the driver software that came with the audiophile and been on the m-audio site and updated.
And i've swapped it between pci slots to check that wasn't the problem.
I'm guessing it might be the internal speakers conflicting with the the new card - is this possible and if so can i disable the internal sound further than just in system pref.
Thank you very much for bothering to read all this - if you have any suggestions it would be massively appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.