Uneven sound output through headphones

J

jessica

I've noticed this when plugging in my guitar cable, but for the first time I am using head phones with my PB and I noticed first the apple ear buds do not plug in all the way. I tried three other headphones--non apple and had the same results.
The right earphone is about 40-50% lower than the left. I don't know why exactly, but I wonder if it has something to do with the cable not going all the way in. Can anyone confirm or deny this? Or offer up suggestions?
I have the most recent powerbook received in March 2005 running the Tiger upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
If the standard 1/8" headphone plug is not fitting securely in your PB's jack, then there may be a problem with the AUX/IN jack and not the headphones. Especially if you have tried other sets of headphones.
I have never had this probelm with any of the PB's I have had and I don't have it with the iBook I have now. Granted I have never had a G4 PB, but I would seriously doubt that they changed the jack depth for the PB's only.
You may want to take it to an Apple Store to have them check it out to make sure that the jack is not defective.

OP
A

awu_gigabyte

Also try going into your sound properties and seeing if the balance is off, i know when i installed tiger, it turned the left speaker way way down, possibly to help with feedback when using the internal mic?

OP
M

menace3054

awu_gigabyte said:
Also try going into your sound properties and seeing if the balance is off, i know when i installed tiger, it turned the left speaker way way down, possibly to help with feedback when using the internal mic?

perhaps you are starting to go deaf lol j/k

OP
A

awu_gigabyte

Well i thought my $200 headphones were going out, and probably the balance was the last thing i checked... :headphone

OP
T

Tel

I had that problem with my iBook and my Harman/Kardon SoundSticks II but I realised I just wasn't pushing the 3.5mm jack in hard enough, the female 3.5mm jack on my iBook is tighter than others I've used, definatly a good thing but it confused me a bit at first because I didn't want to force it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.