trying to restore from time machine backup

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook unibody
Alright so I recently installed a new hard drive into my late model (2008) unibody macbook and I have timemachine backups onto a NAS server. So I've did a fresh install of snow leopard and I went into migration and slected the time machine back up and after 13hrs of it restoring when it said finished nothing was different. Is there something I missed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Take a look at this , it may very well answer your questions. If this doesn't help let us know.

Mac 101: Time Machine

Hope this helps
Clay

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook unibody
ok i checked that thing out and while i had my network server conntect i went into time machine and it doesnt reconize the drive for some reason but if i go and mount the back up and then go to time machine it gives me a option for previous disk so i went into time machine and clicked the macintosh HD and clicked restore but im wondering is this just going to copy over the folder and not neccisarly restore it like it previously was.

another question i have is i used the apple migration tool and it copied over all the files so it is currently using 106 gigs of my hard drive but i dont know where the file is even located because after the migration was done i clicked finish and it did nothing

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook unibody
so i just tried something i read about booting from the snow leopard disk and going to utilities and trying the restore from time machine backup but when i go to it it doesnt reconize my server for some reason and yes i am connected to the network..not sure what might be wrong and i see a button that says conntect to remote server or something but its grayed out

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook unibody
can anyone shed some light on the situation..got any questions please let me know

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Try going in here;

Click for full size

then on bottom right in Time Machine there is a selection for restore - try adding back your files that way.

Then give serious consideration to using Superduper or Carbon Copy Cloner in the future for a bootable back up and much quicker restore.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.