Can I tell if someone is spying on my computer?

Reaction score
My ex is a computer forensic analyst and had access to my Macbook, including password.

I'm wondering if there's a way to tell if he's loaded anything to 'spy' on me?

He was always bragging about what he could tell from people's computers and I know he has access to everything he needs given the agency where he works.

It's just making me uncomfortable. Computers aren't my forte, so could use a hand here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
change your password? Anyone can get in a computer if they have physical access to it. Being your ex he shouldn't be able to touch it. To be certain, you could always backup and use your OSX disc to erase and reinstall, thereby erasing whatever he *might have* put on your machine.

Reaction score
I would like to add to deus' suggestion by saying change your password to something very strong; IE: Use a combination of upper and lower case characters and numbers.
Also don't use short passwords or birthdays, etc - they're too easy to guess, as is the old gem "password" :D

Some poor examples would be: 1234, 0000, password, any consecutive number sequence..
A better example would be: L0s4n9eL35 (Los Angeles, but in U/L, with numbers)

Hope this helps :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
If he had physical access to the machine, had the necessary knowledge, and was enough of a jerk to try it, then he could have installed a rootkit or other monitoring software.

The only way to be sure would be to back up your files and re-install the OS from the original discs. And when you restore your backed-up files, be sure to restore only your personal documents.

Reaction score
^^ What he said. There are a slew of tools that could have been installed that would run in the background. The best thing you can do is backup your files and re-install the OS and software. Then ensure that you use a strong password.

OP
K
Reaction score
If he had physical access to the machine, had the necessary knowledge, and was enough of a jerk to try it, then he could have installed a rootkit or other monitoring software.

He had physical access, has the knowledge and is likely enough of a jerk to try it.

I'm going to go down the path of reinstalling everything. Can I save my iTunes content onto an external hard drive then simply reload it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Can I save my iTunes content onto an external hard drive then simply reload it?

Yes, but just the iTunes Music folder I suggest. Anything OS-related, ie. the iTunes library, may have been compromised.

I also agree with previous respondents, a clean OS install. Stronger still is a replacement hard drive, but that's getting drastic, also expensive! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MBP 2.66, 750GB 7200RPM HD, 8GB RAM; iPhone4S 64GB; 32GB iPad, White, AT&T.
I do the same thing for a living. Best and safest bet is to reload the OS, and then your relevant files. Hard to change your files themselves, especially with the OSX file system and OS. Only thing he could have hidden would in all likelihood be hidden in the OS.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
And remember, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
Ha! Hopefully he's not wise to this forum! :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C

chas_m

Note to self: never date -- or even let into my house -- a computer forensic analyst. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Note to self: never date -- or even let into my house -- a computer forensic analyst. :)

That's kind of like saying, "Never date a cop...they have guns and know how to kill people."

Most computer forensic analysts are professionals who are familiar with the law, since they either work for security companies or government. You'd hope they'd be aware of of just how illegal it is to do what the OP is afraid of.

There are, unfortunately, bad apples in every line of work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MBP 2.66, 750GB 7200RPM HD, 8GB RAM; iPhone4S 64GB; 32GB iPad, White, AT&T.
That's kind of like saying, "Never date a cop...they have guns and know how to kill people."

Most computer forensic analysts are professionals who are familiar with the law, since they either work for security companies or government. You'd hope they'd be aware of of just how illegal it is to do what the OP is afraid of.

There are, unfortunately, bad apples in every line of work.

Don't forget us us E-Discovery people in law firms! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If it is that much of a worry you are never going to be satisfied with the MacBook, so bite the bullet, sell it and buy a new machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nothing yet ... still salivating at the counter.
If it is that much of a worry you are never going to be satisfied with the MacBook, so bite the bullet, sell it and buy a new machine.

In your shoes, that would be my solution!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.