removing duplicates

Reaction score
hey everyone

does anyone know how to remove duplicate listings of programs? For example,

I downloaded VLC player and then several days later there was an update...so i performed the update and now when i go to open a file (let's say a movie)...the default player is "quicktime" but since quicktime doesn't allow me to open the file, i use vlc...so in order to do that I right-click on the file and go to "open with" and from the list it shows me all possible programs that I can use...but it shows me two copies of VLC and it drives me nuts have duplicates....does anyone know how to remove that?

I'm sorry if my example is unclear and if u need further explanation i will try to re-write this to make it more clear but hopefully u guys can understand it! =)

Any advice would be great.

thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
In most cases, you can just open your Applications folder, find the older application file and drag it to the trash.

Also, instead of using 'open with' every time, highlight the file, hit Command-I, and there's a drop down box to change the default application used to open that file type by default.

OP
S
Reaction score
^^^ I tried to do that but in the applications folder it only shows one copy of VLC player...but when i go to the file and then go to "open with" it shows TWO copies of VLC player...i'm trying to rid of the duplicate listing when i go to "open with".

C

chas_m

There's probably another copy of VLC *someplace else* on the drive. Maybe in the trash, or the downloads folder.

OP
S
Reaction score
There's probably another copy of VLC *someplace else* on the drive. Maybe in the trash, or the downloads folder.

so whenever i find the 2nd copy of VLC...as long as i delete it..it will remove the 2nd copy icon?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Use AppCleaner to drop it into.
If you have 2 copies show up in there, then you can trash one and leave the rest, or just trash it all, reboot and repair disk permissions, and then download and install VLC again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.