Wireless connection not starting

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm getting odd behaviour on my Airport Extreme network with a MB and a MBP as clients. The issues are to do with Internet connection via a Belkin ADSL2 modem using an ADSL (1) connection.

When my wife starts her 13" MB she usually connects to the internet immediately, no problem.

When I start (awaken) my 15" MBP I usually have Airport connection but no internet connection. To get internet up I log into the Belkin modem, Disconnect and Reconnect, and wait 60-90 seconds. Once internet is up it stays up.

I've often had the situation where we are sitting side by side on the lounge and she is happily netting, and I awaken my laptop and have to go through the above procedure - which interrupts her session too of course.

We are both on Snow Leopard, but the issue was exactly the same on Leopard. All software is up to date.

Any ideas?

Ken.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
Are you giving it enough time before going to the Belkin? When my MBP wakes up, sometimes the browser comes up a few seconds before the Internet connection is reestablished. Airport is connected, but no Internet. If I wait a few seconds and reload the page, the Internet is there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Is the Belkin set to handing out the DHCP and the Extreme set to Bridge mode; Pic is Time Capsule but Extreme is similar.

Click for full size

And both MB and MBP set to 'Using DHCP' in Sys Prefs > Network > Airport > Advanced > TCP/IP

OP
W
Reaction score
VegasGeorge,

I've tried waiting, it sometimes works but the great majority of times it doesn't.

Collin_Bl,

Thanks! I don't have those settings. I'll try them out and report back in a couple of days.

Ken.

OP
W
Reaction score
OK,

I did already have the settings Collin_Bl specified above.

Anything else I can try?

Can anyone recommend me a good ADSL 2 modem which is known to work well with an Airport Extreme?

Ken.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
When i t comes to supporting 2 or more computers i would guess all modern ADSL2 modems should be able to provide the DHCP without drama. In my experience with VoIP, an Airport Extreme will sort a connection that a modem will not do on its own, so in your case i feel sure there is a setting issue that is not allowing both you and your wife to connect effortlessly. Is there another known modem or modem/router you can borrow to test with your set up. Is UPnP enabled in Admin page?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.