Folder views

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini (late 09) 2.26, 2 gb, 160, 1 tb hitachi 7200 ext hdd. Macbook 2.26, 4 gb, 360 hdd 3G Iphone
I would like to assign different folder views to different folders, ie: I have an external drive that has over 200 movies on it I would like it to be displayed as a list instead of icons but when I change that one to list all the folders I open have changed to list view. Is there anyway to make just one folder have that view and the rest be icons?
Specs:
unibody macbook 2.26 4gb 360 hdd 10.6.2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Mate bare with me .. someone might come in with a easier solution for you but here is mine.
Say im in downloads i do cmd~j and it brings up
20100217-eiiap5f34x1xddeqdk33279rb7.jpg

As you can see in the top left i have always open in icon view. I have that checked for most windows and the ones i dont i have the list view selcted in the main window.

So when i go to the window i want in List it comes up in list view and if i go to my other windows with the always open in icon view it opens in icon view ??? MAke sense ?? lol

I know what i mean ;)

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini (late 09) 2.26, 2 gb, 160, 1 tb hitachi 7200 ext hdd. Macbook 2.26, 4 gb, 360 hdd 3G Iphone
Mate bare with me .. someone might come in with a easier solution for you but here is mine.
Say im in downloads i do cmd~j and it brings up
20100217-eiiap5f34x1xddeqdk33279rb7.jpg

As you can see in the top left i have always open in icon view. I have that checked for most windows and the ones i dont i have the list view selcted in the main window.

So when i go to the window i want in List it comes up in list view and if i go to my other windows with the always open in icon view it opens in icon view ??? MAke sense ?? lol

I know what i mean ;)

I think I know what you are talking about, but just to make sure. If I want only one folder in list view, I'll have to go into all the rest of the folders and select always open in icon view?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Yea mate unfortunately thats the way it is. Unless like i said someone comes up with a easier way. But i just tried it and it doesnt take that long. As long as you know what folder you want in list.
There might even be a 3rd party App but i dont know of one :(

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea mate unfortunately thats the way it is. Unless like i said someone comes up with a easier way. But i just tried it and it doesnt take that long. As long as you know what folder you want in list.
There might even be a 3rd party App but i dont know of one :(

Ok thanx for the quick response. Too bad there wasnt an always open in list view check box lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Ok thanx for the quick response. Too bad there wasnt an always open in list view check box lol.
There is. That line in Show View Options changes if it is NOT checked when you change the View. (or if you change the View first, then uncheck it)

Here's the way I think it works:
The enclosing folder controls the options for all folders within it unless you change them. As far as Views, if the EF has that "always open in" box checked, any changes you make to the sub-folders will be lost the next time you go into them, UNLESS you uncheck the box.

If you want most folders to be in Icon View, set one up to your liking, then check the Use as Defaults button at the bottom. Then go to the ones you want to change and uncheck the "always open" box.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is. That line in Show View Options changes if it is NOT checked when you change the View. (or if you change the View first, then uncheck it)

Here's the way I think it works:
The enclosing folder controls the options for all folders within it unless you change them. As far as Views, if the EF has that "always open in" box checked, any changes you make to the sub-folders will be lost the next time you go into them, UNLESS you uncheck the box.

If you want most folders to be in Icon View, set one up to your liking, then check the Use as Defaults button at the bottom. Then go to the ones you want to change and uncheck the "always open" box.

Works perfect thanks for this exactly what I needed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.