HP Laptop dying

Reaction score
OK, so my dv2000t that I use for school and docked at home now has a blue tint on external monitor.

HP wants $400 to repair, so i have a few options:

1. Pay $400 and repair
2. Get a mini-desktop and use the home monitor with mac mini, no external monitor for laptop(Looking at the Mac Mini)
3. Get a USB-to-VGA or similar (laggy though)
4. New laptop.

Please give me some advice!

Thanks,
SH

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I guess the first thing you need to ask yourself is....are you prepared to make the switch from the Windows platform to the Mac? If you are, the Mac Mini makes sense since you already have a monitor to use at home. Just add an inexpensive USB keyboard.

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
chscag,

my new laptop was going to be a MBP (a bit expen$ive though :( ), so I can definitely use a Mac Mini.

Already have USB keyboard, but it doesn't have those fancy mac functions....

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's OK, any Windows based keyboard as long as it's USB will work fine. For example: The Windows key on a standard PC keyboard is actually the "Command" key for the Mac. And so on....

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Really? An HP laptop with issues? haha

Sorry, I have to sell laptops on a daily basis, and I always direct people away from the HPs with their 25.6% failure rate through three years according to a study by SquareTrade.

500x_squaretrade3.jpg

Laptop Reliability Study: Asus and Toshiba Come Out on Top - Laptops - Gizmodo

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I am still dumbfounded that Toshiba ranks #2.

As to the OP's question.... I would go with option #4 and sell the HP for parts out on eBay to help fund it. Clearly you need some kind of portability if a laptop is in question at all. Why lock yourself down with a desktop? Especially a desktop that is not expandable (the primary advantage of a desktop).

And this time, do yourself a favor and buy a decent laptop. Sure, there are plenty of $500 and under laptops, but you get what you pay for. If you're not spending at least $800, you're probably getting a piece of junk.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am still dumbfounded that Toshiba ranks #2.

I've actually had very good luck with mine. Bought back in 2003, gone through two hard drives, but otherwise functional. But that's just one Toshiba. :)

Regards.

Reaction score
All in all probably better to get a new laptop. In my experience, once a laptop starts to have problems, it can be a pain to fix

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.