Mac Mini - 2 days old and possible fault

Reaction score
Hi all,

I purchased a Mac Mini two days ago, from a reseller in Tottenham Court Road, for £495, instead of the RRP of £510, because they price matched a competitor.

Now, for some weird reason, the Mini's started making a pop noise, just tonight and it happens approximately once every 90 seconds, then after another 5s or so it will pop again, then stay silent for 90 seconds.

Also, when I checked permissions earlier I got the following:
Code:
Verify permissions for “Macintosh HD”
Permissions differ on "usr/share/derby", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Permissions verification complete
Now, as far as I'm aware, there's no user called "derby" and the Mini was new and sealed, when I got it.
Perhaps this unit was a customer return that was re-packaged?

Either way, I think I'm going to insist on a new unit tomorrow. :Evil:

OP
Rottie
Reaction score
Okay, here's an update..
Before I'd posted the above, the popping problem persisted through one restart and two shut downs.
Immediately after I'd posted, I shut the Mini down and left it 2-3 mins before I powered it up again.
When I powered it up again, it popped once and it occured to me, that when the popping started, I was in facebook and there was music playing from that, so (lightbulb moment here - they don't happen often!) I let a couple of tracks play via itunes and now there's no popping, whatsoever. :) Although, I will keep my eye on it, in case the problem sneaks back.

I am still baffled by the "usr/share/derby" thing, though - Although I can reinstall SL from the recovery media, if need be, but it's not something I'd expect on a new unit.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.