fresh out ofthe box

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 in MacBook Pro, anti glare screen and an iPhone 4
so, after FedEx man leaves, what's the first things to do right out of the box?

charge the battery? (MacBook) or, like a cell phone, does the battery have a charge?

can you download a google toolbar for safari?

take pictures of my kids? LOL ;-)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Battery doesn't need to charge first. How to calibrate your battery
Safari already comes stock with a Google search "bubble" or whatever you want to call it.
Screenshot2010-02-16at120120PM.png

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks! good to know i don't have to lose bookmarks...;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Turn it on - plug it in - have fun
or
Plug it in - turn it on - have fun

you can customise toolbar of Safari but not a Google add-on;

Click for full size

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S
Congratulations on the new Macbook Pro. I am sure you will enjoy it. The first thing I did on Friday when I got my iMac, after I quit drooling over how sexy it is (ok, I admit, I haven't quite quit drooling yet :p), was hook up an external drive and get Time Machine set up to do backups. I think everyone on this forum will advise you to do that as one of the first things.

I'm not sure if the battery will be charged already, or it may be like the iPod i just bought and only have about half of a charge. I will defer to the wisdom of those who have a MBP for that one.

I did a check, and the Google toolbar is not available for Safari, neither is the Yahoo! toolbar. Both require a minimum of Firefox 2.0.

Have fun with the new Mac, and welcome to the forum.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did a check, and the Google toolbar is not available for Safari, neither is the Yahoo! toolbar. Both require a minimum of Firefox 2.0.

Have fun with the new Mac, and welcome to the forum.

thanks, can't wait till it gets here!

ooo, i hate hate hate Firfox....then again, i have only ever used it on a PC, which it constantly froze....maybe i should give it a whirl again

Time Machine...back up files, correct? i will read up on that...this PC crashed after 3 months, and i lost everything (i'm a homeschool mom, so i had a TON of files with school programs, not to mention pix and music :Angry-Tongue: ) i was peeved, it was brand stinkin' new!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Time Machine backs up as does SuperDuper and Carbon Copy Cloner, but the later 2 do bootable backups which can mean quicker recovery and back in operation. Check them out.
SuperDuper

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
take pictures of my kids? LOL ;-)
You can do that if you like because the MacBook Pro has a built in web cam and you can take pictures with it if you want. ;D

ooo, i hate hate hate Firfox....then again, i have only ever used it on a PC, which it constantly froze....maybe i should give it a whirl again
There must have been a problem with your Firefox because it works well on both PC and Mac for me. Safari is a also a good web browser so you can test both and see which you prefer.

Time Machine...back up files, correct?
Time Machine is an included Mac application that will backup your hard drive for you to an external hard drive. You do need an external hard drive in order to use Time Machine though and you'll most likely have to format your external drive to Mac format if it's a PC hard drive.

One of the things you can do now while you wait is think of a good password that you will remember. When you first turn on your computer you need to setup a few things up and one of them is creating a password for your computer. It's important to remember this password because some applications will ask for it when you install their software. You will use it every now and then so be sure it's a password you can remember but don't make it easy to guess.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Unless you already have an iTunes account and you are happy with that password. It gives you the option of keeping your iTunes ID and password. That's how I did it anyways. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.66GHz / 4GB / 320GB / Matte 15"
I second the suggestion of thinking about a _strong_ password. The best is at least 8 characters long. Use upper and lower case letters a number or two and at least one punctuation mark or special character. The reason I don't use my iTunes password, is its not a good idea to use the same password in two or more places. I use both Safari and Firefox. They are both great. I would start with Safari since its already on your Mac. Then if you feel the need for a second browser try Firefox. Its really fast on a Mac. Most important... Have Fun!
Cheers...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.