MacBookPro 15" power button is stuck down

Reaction score
Hi - the power button is slightly and permanently depressed. MacBook won't boot up, though there is a small whirrig noise on pressing the button further - and the light next to the lid release catch fades in and out.

I've searched help forums but cant find any clue to what's happened or how to fix it.

Can anyone contribute?

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First - I have to ask: Is your MBP under warranty or covered by Apple care? If it is, I suggest you make an appointment with your local Apple store and take it on in and have them look at it.

From your description, it sounds like the power switch mechanism is either broken or stuck. That might mean disassembling the entire keyboard - bottom case area to get at it. Certainly not an easy thing to do.

Regards.

OP
L
Reaction score
No warranty, it's several years old now.
Thanks for being so quick and frank. Do you think this is fixable at a MAc repair centre?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm sure it can be fixed at a Mac repair center or at your local Apple store, however, the question is one of cost. Make sure you ask for an estimate before you agree to repairs.

Regards.

OP
L
Reaction score
Chscag - Many thanks for the good advise. off to a Mac repairer fingers crossed!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.