Ext HDD advice request :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
black macbook OSX v10.5.8, 2.2 Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB RAM
Hey y'all
Following on from this thread
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ot...7422-time-capsule-different-external-hdd.html

I kept on researching the option of getting an external drive and using our existing wireless router to back up wirelessly our two macbooks at home (one running tiger, the other leopard) because I find the TC too expensive and half of what it does (the router bit) I don't need as we've already got a router... if nothing else, call me persistent! :)

So I found the Lacie Network Space 2, which seemingly will do what I want. I also contacted Lacie's sales to ask if it will back up wirelessly to double check and they responded: "I confirm it is possible however backing up wirelessly is riskier than a standard Ethernet connection especially if critical data". When I asked why/ how is it riskier they said that a wireless connection is more susceptible to signal interference from electromagnetic sources, distances and even metallic objects in some instances...

Question 1: Does the TC not suffer potentially from the same issues?
Question 2: Any advice, comments, experience with this Lacie drive, particularly in the way I want to use it?

Many thanks in advance :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
You don't want to wirelessly backup. Takes too long anyways. Get an external that can use Firewire 400 or 800. Lightning fast compared to USB and everything is faster than wireless.

OP
titina
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do want to back up wirelessly :)
I want it done in the background without having to plug something into either macbook as we both use them on the sofa... no desks... no leads... speed is not an issue, i am aware it's going to be slower over wi-fi... but thank you for your advice.

i still want to hear from anyone that has or has used this HDD.. ta

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Ok. Fair enough. :)
But I STRONGLY suggest when you do your very first backup that you do so wired to your external. If not, it could take DAYS to do the first backup wirelessly and your Mac will have to be on and lid open the entire time.

I use the Western Digital My Book Studio Edition for my external backup. But you'll find that pretty much any HDD will do fine. I chose mine for the Firewire 800 option and it was the only one at the store that had it. That Lacie is fine - I even looked at one of those at the Apple Store once.

C

chas_m

I sound like a broken record on this point, but if you want to back up wirelessly without a lot of hassle and aggravation, buy a Time Capsule. Or an Airport Extreme and an external HD you can connect to it.

MYmacROX is right that you do want to do the first backup via a direct connection, since it is backing up EVERYTHING and that will take a much longer time wirelessly. After the initial backup, wireless should be fine.

OP
titina
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ah, yes, the first back up will indeed be done wired, I should have said this :)

I sound like a broken record on this point, but if you want to back up wirelessly without a lot of hassle and aggravation, buy a Time Capsule. Or an Airport Extreme and an external HD you can connect to it.

I will also sound like a broken record :D, the TC is too expensive!
Getting an AE+external drive... isn't it like what I'm doing? a wi-fi router and an external HDD... except the router is not an apple product...
what benefit would you see in having an AE?

OP
titina
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
an update

an update for whoever might be looking at this thread for advice...

I got a Lacie Network space 2 and connected it to our wi-fi router (provided by our ISP, has 4 ethernet ports at the back)
i have not tested the speeds for transfer, obviously they are slower over the wi-fi network but that issue was not important for me as i said in the previous posts.

the first back-up using time machine was done wired directly to the drive over ethernet (not through the router) and took roughly 3 hours for approx 130-140GB. Since then i've had TM on and over the wi-fi... not noticing it doing its job in the background, which is precisely what I was after.

I'm also taking an extra precaution and am currently burning on DVDs data I wish to have backed up safely (like all my uni work over 7 years, my portfolio, photos and music)

The drive has some extra features that I was not looking for but I'm glad it has them (eco-mode and download machine for downloading stuff of the net - always legally of course ;) ) even when the laptops are off. It was all really easy to set up, it has a 2 year warrantee and it looks stunning (if you care about that sort of thing) and it cost me £120... that in my book is a great deal :)

I know there have been some posts on the web about its life-span but so have for apple's time capsule... i'll just have to wait an see on that one :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm also taking an extra precaution and am currently burning on DVDs data I wish to have backed up safely (like all my uni work over 7 years, my portfolio, photos and music)

Very wise move. I hope others take heed to this advice. It's not "if" a hard drive containing your valuable backups will fail, it's "when". :Oops:

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.