Advice on desktop.

Reaction score
Ok well I am in the market for a new desktop, currently I have a black MacBook 2.4ghz with only 2gb of ram. This computer is a great portable machine however I’d like something with more power and I need a desktop machine.

I was leaning toward the 27” imac because I love the display however, there are certain problems. I don’t have room on my desk for a 27” display and adding another desk or using a bigger one causes cluster in my room. So the price of the imac I was going to buy was $2080. The Mac Pro is $2300(buying the next one, upcoming might be a little more expensive). So I considered the mac pro, even though I don’t need that much power all the time.

What I need my computer for is programming, web site development, moderate gaming, a little bit of video editing. A mac pro would be great because it has a PCI-X card that allows a card I want to use(Blackmagic Intensity pro). For this card I’d also need to build a raid array. I have two 22 inch monitors that I can use with the mac pro. If I somehow decide to buy the 27” imac, I will use an older hp desktop for the BMI pro, and edit on the imac.

Now the other thing is, I could also build a hackintosh for about 1200 that would also do all of this.

For the past several days I’ve been thinking it over, however can’t make up my mind. I need some people who know what they are talking about to advise me and not just because they have a certain computer and not the other.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well, for one thing no one here is going to give you any advice on building a hackintosh - so forget about that.

As for buying a Mac Pro, it sounds like that's what you need. I don't know why you would want to limit yourself by buying a 27" iMac. The display is nice but you can certainly get a better one for a new Mac Pro. You might want to hang on for awhile anyway to see if Apple is going to release a new Mac Pro model in the near future.

Anyway, that's what I would do if I had the $$$. :)

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
Well, I would say you are the best person to make the decision however, here's my two cents.

1. Hackintosh: As mentioned we are not allowed to discuss those here due to the Apples' EULA. However, I wouldn't sugest these as a way to run OS X full-time. You need to be extra careful over product selection, updates could really mess up your system too.

2. iMac: Would be enough for your needs minus the BlackMagic card.

3. Mac Pro: Definitely capable of more than your needs at the moment and is highly upgradable (GPU, PCI-e, HDD (even RAID card), processors etc) for future tasks.

However, PCI-X cards (your BMI Pro) will not work with new Mac Pros only PCI-e cards - both totally different interfaces. So you may need to upgrade this.

Hope that helps.

OP
N
Reaction score
Well, I would say you are the best person to make the decision however, here's my two cents.

1. Hackintosh: As mentioned we are not allowed to discuss those here due to the Apples' EULA. However, I wouldn't sugest these as a way to run OS X full-time. You need to be extra careful over product selection, updates could really mess up your system too.

2. iMac: Would be enough for your needs minus the BlackMagic card.

3. Mac Pro: Definitely capable of more than your needs at the moment and is highly upgradable (GPU, PCI-e, HDD (even RAID card), processors etc) for future tasks.

However, PCI-X cards (your BMI Pro) will not work with new Mac Pros only PCI-e cards - both totally different interfaces. So you may need to upgrade this.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for helping, and sorry the BMI Pro is a PCI-e 1,8,16 card so it would work. Also I didn’t know a hackintosh was against the EULA so sorry guys, anyways I wasn’t asking for build advice, just if it was a good option.

Also to the other guy, I’m not planning on buying a separate monitor, just using the one I have.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.