Using both USB port and Line-In for Recording

Reaction score
Hi all, I do a podcast using Garageband. Up until now, I have had all my audio from my sound board/mixer go into my MacBook line-in outlet. I just ordered a USB condenser microphone which obviously plugs into the USB port. Will the Macbook recognize both audio signals simultaneously? In other words, when I record in Garageband, will the audio signals from both my line-in as well as my new USB microphone be recognized? When you go into the Audio/MIDI settings, the only options are line-in and built-in mic, which I have currently set to line-in. I'm not sure if USB is considered "line-in" or if it is completely separate from these two choices. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
No. One at a time. When you get the Mic you will find it will be picked up in the settings once plugged in (it may have driver software).

OP
S
Reaction score
I have been doing some research on this since my original post and it appears there may be a way to do what I want. Apparently you can create an "aggregate device" using the Audio MIDI Setup within the Applications - Utilities Folder. Apparently here you can create a single channel with multiple microphone inputs (like two USBs or combination of USB and line-in audio). After doing this, you can go into Garageband and select the created "aggregate device" as a source.

Reaction score
I'm reliably informed by a regular Garageband user that you can assign a different audio input to each track you're recording to.
Robert's your mother's bit on the side.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.