Alternative to Apple Wireless Card?

C

ciaran.mooney

Afternoon all,

New to this forum and have been browsing for a couple of days.

Thinking about getting a 2nd hand clamshell iBook. Seems to do everything I want without as much of the cost.

Only thing is not everyone sells one with a apple wireless card. So, I was wondering if there was an alternative (internal) solution? I'd use a external USB if its the only affordable solution left.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
I have seen an article where an individual has used the wireless card from a Sony VAIO in his Clamshell, though I've never priced the Sony cards and thus can't say whether it's significantly less expensive than an AirPort card (or even still available at all). Here is the link with information on the Sony card installation:

http://homepage.mac.com/macinside/PhotoAlbum36.html

If you shop around, you can still locate the AirPort cards even though they're no longer being produced by Apple, and that's probably the option I'd go with.

OP
C

ciaran.mooney

Yeah I'd look around but looks like ill be paying through the nose for it.

Though that Sony Vaio idea looks pretty good. Just looked on ebay and one is currently going for 20quid with a couple of hours left. So looks like a cheaper option.

Thanks!

Ciarán

OP
C

ciaran.mooney

**Update**

Got a Vaio card as described in the above article. Installed and working A-Ok!

Saved myself a Tenner! ($14) - Bargain!

Ya Boo Sucks to you apple! Cram your proprietry equipment.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.