• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Quicktime 7 Vs. Quicktime V.10 (SnowLeopard)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 3.06 core2duo, 4gb ram, 500gb hdd, 512mb nVidia GeForce8800 GS
Has anyone else noticed that the video quality on Quicktime 7 is much sharper and clearer than the Quicktime that was installed with SnowLeopard?

I just realized this when I had a movie opened in 2 different Quicktime players. Try it.... I never realized that the image quality could be that different. I've always thought the quality was dependent soley on the source file.

How do I get my mp4/avi movies to automatically open on Quicktime 7 ??? I want to stop using the new snowleopard quicktime.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Right click on one of the files you want to change, go to Get Info, in the Get Info pane, find the area that states Open With - use the dropdown box to change it to quicktime 7, then press the Change All button. Repeat this for each file extension you want to open with QT7.

Reaction score
I have noticed this too. I HATE quicktime X. If you try to set QT 7 to default, it will point you back to quicktime X. If you want to fix this, go into the QT X (or maybe 7, i dont remember) package (right click -> show package contents) and delete 'quicktime player launcher'. Then you can set all your files to QT 7.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You don't need to delete QTX to make it work. I've reassociated many files to QT7 without erasing QTX. My guess is you're missing a step causing the files to not get properly associated.

Reaction score
Changing the associated application in the Get Info window does the trick, for sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I don't know why that other poster suggested removing a portion of QTX. I also wonder if doing what that other person suggested might cause other problems in the future - I'm not sure how much of SL might have other portions that use or are dependent on QTX.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.