weak airport signal

Reaction score
hi i don't now if this is in the right place sorry first post . hello i have a macbook 13 inch late 2006 laptop 10.4.11 and untill a couple of weeks ago my airport signal is very weak i don't now why, even if i'm close to the router its still very weak and i used to have options on my airport menu of other wireless networks now i only have mine showing and thats if i'm close to it, if i move like 5 feet from my router it doesn't show and internet drops.
i don't think its the router since my brother have the exact same laptop as mine and his is fine getting full bar and everthing. If anyone can help me please, the only thing i tried is making a new account but that didn't work thanks for your response..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early "09 Macbook Alubody 13" / iPhone 3G 16GB Black
See of your Airport Driver is outdated,
Otherwise update it ;-)

if that doesn't work,
delete your airport settings on your macbook
restart,
reinstall airport settings,
restart again.

first off you should look on apple.com/downloads, for any airport driver updates.

Do note, that even though it might not show a full bar,
it doesn't immediately mean you have bad connection.. hard to explain why but trust me.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I would start looking for potential sources of interference. The drivers should be updated automatically via Software Updates.

Is there a baby monitor, microwave or cordless phone base anywhere near the router? Have you tried changing the channel on the router to something different? This and lots of other tips are discussed here:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ai...technology/68784-wireless-networking-faq.html

OP
U
Reaction score
I would start looking for potential sources of interference. The drivers should be updated automatically via Software Updates.

Is there a baby monitor, microwave or cordless phone base anywhere near the router? Have you tried changing the channel on the router to something different? This and lots of other tips are discussed here:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ai...technology/68784-wireless-networking-faq.html

hello thanks for your response .
there is no baby monitor or anything i have my router in my room close to my laptop and still gets very weak signal and drops everytime. when a couple a weeks ago i use to be all over the house and no problems, but i was reading in the internet and also said something about changing channels
how can i do that ?

OP
U
Reaction score
See of your Airport Driver is outdated,
Otherwise update it ;-)

if that doesn't work,
delete your airport settings on your macbook
restart,
reinstall airport settings,
restart again.

first off you should look on apple.com/downloads, for any airport driver updates.

Do note, that even though it might not show a full bar,
it doesn't immediately mean you have bad connection.. hard to explain why but trust me.

hi i did the airport settings again and no luck. and my software is up to date.
i don't now what it is but its very annoying, any other ideas what might be?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
hello thanks for your response .
there is no baby monitor or anything i have my router in my room close to my laptop and still gets very weak signal and drops everytime. when a couple a weeks ago i use to be all over the house and no problems, but i was reading in the internet and also said something about changing channels
how can i do that ?

It really doesn't matter how close it is if there is a strong enough signal that conflicts with the signal the router is throwing out.

The process to change the channel varies depending on the make/model router you have. The process is detailed in your router's manual. Generally speaking, you would need to open the router's configuration webpage by typing in the address of the router in your web browser's address bar. You'll then be prompted for a password (you should have set this during the installation of the router). Once you're done, you'll need to dig through the pages to find wireless radio settings. Once you find it, try switching the channel to the opposite end of the spectrum. So, if it's 11 (a commonly used channel), try 1 or 2. Conversely, if it's already low on the scale, try a higher number.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.