Installed a TON of fonts and want to delete all

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17"
So the story is: I installed about 1000 fonts on my MBP. Now my system is extremely slow, ex: takes about 3 minutes to load Word or Excel. Very annoying. So I want to delete all the fonts on the computer and install the OS X system fonts only (or somehow only delete all user fonts). This would have been easy if I didn't use FontDoctor to organize my whole font library. So now if I go to where fonts are installed, they are in a folder ~/library/fonts/new font library/ and they are organized into folders by number and letter. This folder is also hidden from Finder.

Is there any way to get me back to only using system fonts without formatting the whole system? In Fontbook, the fonts are not seperated by "User". I was hoping to delete all fonts and then load up the Mac OS X disk and reinstall all the system fonts, but I don't know if they offer that!

Help!!

I have OS X 10.5.8, 2.6 GHz, 4gb ram.

-Matt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Welcome to Mac-Forums!

The immediate thought that occurs to me is ... Archive & Install! Use your Leopard disk to do that. The complete OS will be replaced, the correct fonts loaded in the process, but all your non-OS data will be preserved.

Caution - a Previous System Folder will be created so you can extract from it anything you particularly wish to retain, but you'll notice a marked decrease in your MBP's storage capacity until you've deleted the PSF. Don't even think about doing that until you're satisfied that everything, including fonts, is working to your satisfaction.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I recommend you use a font manager like Linotype FontExplorer X. That way it won't bog down your system and you only install fonts you want to use for a specific project.

List of Font Managers for Mac. Right now I'm digging fontcase because it's a lot like iTunes.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Sorry double posted. >_<"

C

chas_m

1. Check to see that the system fonts are still residing in /System/Fonts.
2. Check to see that other needed fonts are still residing in /Library/Fonts.
(neither of the above folders are in your home folder)
3. Throw away all fonts in your home folder.
4. Reboot.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.