New Mac Owner / New Machine - No discs ???

Reaction score
Are we supposed to get discs with laptops - like restore discs ??

I am a little concerned about what I do if things go wrong and I need to restore my laptop. Mac Pro.

Thank you :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Look in the box again for a CD sized package called "Everything Else".

OP
F
Reaction score
Nope - no discs.... but I biught this off a private seller on ebay (not someone who sells loads comps - he just was selling this one - his own previous machine).

Are discs always included and necessary?

Thank you :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
Call him or email him and tell him that the disks were not included.

And yes, the disks are important.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Are discs always included
No, not by resellers. Based on reading posts here and on other Mac forums, It seems that a significant number of Mac owners have great difficulty keeping track of installation discs. That's not good, because...
and necessary?
Yes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Nope - no discs.... but I biught this off a private seller on ebay (not someone who sells loads comps - he just was selling this one - his own previous machine).

Are discs always included and necessary?
For future reference any time you buy a used Mac, one of the things you should always ask or look for are the original discs. You can live without them if you have or bought another Mac OS X retail disc.

The problem with not having the original discs is that you won't get the applications that were included when the computer was originally bought. That's also not a big issue unless you payed for extra software from Apple. You didn't say which OS version you have but the other issue is that if you like any older versions of Mac OS X then it will be pretty hard to get them now. I'm assuming your Mac is an Intel Mac and not a PowerPC Mac. PowerPC Macs can only go as high as Leopard (10.5) so what I just said would be a big issue if you had a PowerPC. Snow Leopard (10.6) is the current Mac OS and it doesn't work on PowerPCs.

You really should contact the seller and see if you can get those discs but if he didn't include them in the first place then he probably has lost them. The other option for you is to buy a retail copy of Mac OS X. Mac OS X doesn't have a separate disc for hardware drivers like Windows computers which is why it's not the end of the world if you don't have the original discs but you should have at least a retail Mac OS X disc in case you ever need to reinstall your OS and there are other reasons too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Golden rule no system restore discs no sale!

You do need the discs to access trouble shooting utilities such as Apple Hardware Test etc.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Golden rule no system restore discs no sale!

That's just one of the hazards of buying a Mac or any other computer second hand from someone on eBay. One of the reasons I usually recommend staying away from eBay and Craig's list. (the exception is if you're local to the Craig's list seller)

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.