IMAC running slowly w/o high memory usage?

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been having trouble with my 2008 imac. It runs slow and often freezes on even the most basic of tasks, yet when I check activity monitor for processes taking up memory, I never have more than 5 or 6% in use amongst all processes combined. Here are my specs:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac8,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: IM81.00C1.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.29f1

Screenshot2010-02-15at112056AM.png

I've checked/repaired the drive in disk utility and it changes nothing. I also did a clean reinstall a couple months ago when this happened, but the problem slowly came back. Not sure why it's doing this. Any advice?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
The freezing and slowing issue points to a logic board malfunction. You probably need to have it checked out by an Apple technician, but if you want to go further yourself before that, Disk Warrior *may* detect problems with the drive that Disk Utility does not - but I don't think it's the HD.

OP
A
Reaction score
From what I've read, replacing a logic board is expensive. It seems like the memory is not being used properly, as it freezes while activity monitor shows available memory.

any other ideas, or do other people think I need a new logic board as well?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.