About to make the leap.... Well kind of....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2Gb 20" old school one, looking to invest in a new one.
So guys and gals, first thing hey there, im brand spanking new to the forum.
-I've read through some forums and basically already learnt a bomb load.
So thanks for that, now to the point. My parents bought me a pressie after my sat's test, it was an old iMac i think the 2ghz, but it has the old keyboard and wired mighty mouse, im in love with the interface and the OS, iPhoto is helpful, but not what i need. It's getting slow but i am going to put everything on the time capsual and reinstall everything.
Basically, i need to make the decision on whether to but the MacBook 13 inch or the MacBook pro (13 inch), seeing as im 13 im not loaded that's why the MacBook seems like the one for me, basically i need it to be able to run.
-Safari
-Java
-Lightroom
-Photoshop Cs3
all together at the same time seemlesly. I will be buying second hand as that is my budget for the moment. the only thing that is annoying me is the lack of SD card support that the MacBook doesn't have. That's pushing me towards the pro along with the aluminium look and 7 hours battery life.
So im stuck. Will i regret a MacBook? Is the Pro worth the extra for a budding photographer?
-yo peace out, cheers.
(any biker catch me on pink bike "snaple")
Cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 15in, 2.66ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GPU, 320gb HDD
Personally i would go with the macbook pro. It isnt too much more (200-300) extra dollars for quite a bit more. In addition, if you ever feel the need to upgrade your memory you can throw 8gbs in there.

The macbook will run what you want well, but if your interests keep developing into something more serious you will regret not getting the macbook pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4Ghz, 2Gb, 160HDD & 10.6.2 / Aluminum Keybaord & Mighty Mouse / WD MyBook 1TB
The Pro is def worth the extra money especially if you feel you are going to be doing extensive cs3/lightroom photo editing. If you were just a basic user then the pro wouldn't be worth it. You are going to yield similar results with both computers it's just that the pro will be able to handle a much more intense work load and cause less freezing and stops. But honestly if you aren't going to be doing INTENSE amounts of work but just a decent amount of editing every day or every other day then don't bother with the pro. The additional ghz and memory wont do you that much justice.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cheers, It wont be often like sometimes 3 times a week, the rest will be internet browsing, couldnt find what the difference in spec is between them.

C

chas_m

iPhoto is helpful, but not what i need.

See my sig if you're interested in a promising beta (that's not yet feature-complete, but getting there!).

Basically, i need to make the decision on whether to but the MacBook 13 inch or the MacBook pro (13 inch), seeing as im 13 im not loaded that's why the MacBook seems like the one for me, basically i need it to be able to run.
-Safari
-Java
-Lightroom
-Photoshop Cs3
all together at the same time seemlesly.

That's "seamlessly," "seam" as in dress (just a trick to help you remember).

Either machine will do this, provided you max out the RAM. Obviously the MBP is a better machine (thus the "pro" designation) but I presently run all of these things on a 2.5-year old BlackBook without issue.

I will be buying second hand as that is my budget for the moment.

I would strongly recommend "refurb" from the Apple refurb store over "used" for you. You want a machine that has a warranty, and no chance of being ripped off (I'd so hate to see that happen to someone your age). Go refurb.

the only thing that is annoying me is the lack of SD card support that the MacBook doesn't have.

A USB SD card reader is $10. Not worth considering when weighing the other factors.

So im stuck. Will i regret a MacBook? Is the Pro worth the extra for a budding photographer?

If you can swing it, get the MBP -- but if you can't, invest in max RAM for the MacBook (you can add the RAM later and save yourself a little money with either model). I think you'll like either one just fine.

You might also think about investing in a larger monitor you can use when the MB/MBP is at home. It really makes photo editing a lot easier, and there are some good prices on 22" models these days. Yeah, I know, mo' money, but its something to consider.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13", 4th gen Touch
Go with the Pro. Wait for one to come up refurbished on apple.com. They're $1000 instead of $1200 for the entry level one.

The Pro also has a firewire jack and a backlit keyboard. Those two features were key for me.

Two weeks later, and my wife now has one too.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks people! does anyone know re-stock times for the refurbs, i think they're the way forward! I've worked out it's around £100 off, also another point, you can't get education discount off a refurb machine can you?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.