Graphics Card New MBP 15"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.66GHz / 4GB / 320GB / Matte 15"
Do I need to be concerned about a graphics card failure in my two week old Unibody MacBook Pro 2.66 ?
No sooner did I buy this model, when I began reading about graphics card problems and an Apple unspoken internal policy to replace these Nvidia cards within 3 yrs of ownership even if out of warranty.
I would hate to think about having my pristine new Mac torn apart to have this done. Can someone offer insight about this Please?
Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't think you need to be concerned as I believe the problem with defective nVidia chipsets referred to an older model MBP not yours. In any event, if you have Apple care you're covered for 3 years if there should ever be a problem with the graphics or anything else.

Regards.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Apple extended the coverage to 3 years even without Applecare on certain '07 and early '08 Macs that had a high number of failures. Both Apple and nVidia stepped up to the plate to take care of the issue.

Yours does not fall into that category and you do not have the extended 3 yr warranty unless you purchase the Applecare extended warranty for your Mac.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.66GHz / 4GB / 320GB / Matte 15"
I should be in good shape then, as I've purchased Apple Care when I bought the computer, and as you mentioned it does seem to be with older models based on what I've read. I just needed the extra peace of mind, that a confirmation by those of you here with long time experience and knowledge about the brand.

Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.